+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: What 3 Things Are Important To You?

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    I've always preferred peace and quiet to noise and bustle. Maybe because I grew up in a crowded house with five other people, where it was hard to escape their noise (usually my two sisters arguing with each other).

Once I've ticked the 'obvious' boxes (food, drink, shelter), books, and somewhere quiet to read them, probably top the list. I could, at a pinch, even manage without music, if the choice came down to one or the other.
    I’d say a quiet place to read books would be a very good top 3 item? Even having a personal library of books to read may make the list?

Russell

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    So back to the topic of this thread, the three things that are most important, while peace and quiet will eventually be important for everyone, will it make their top three? And does it become more important with age? I suspect that 25 years ago, my answers would have been much different.
    Lol yeah, age defo plays a part in that... There's 'noise' though, and there's NOIZE, if you see what I mean...? When I was younger, would the noise of a rowdy party or the din of a very busy bar/nightclub bother me? Not in the slightest... Would it bother me now? Without a doubt, as I'm no longer in that 'zone' [therefore an age thing].

However, when I was younger, would the NOIZE of my parents (and/or brothers and sisters) constantly arguing or screaming, as Joe's just touched upon, bother me? Almost certainly. Would it bother me now, if I had to put up with such from my wife (and/or kids)? Absolutely! [Therefore, not an age thing].

Peace and quiet [living in an oasis of calmness and tranquility] at home is what I've largely always been used to, and so it sticks out like a VERY sore thumb, when I venture elsewhere where that's not the case, and my ears are subsequently assaulted by the din...! That's why the former is *so* precious to me, and I protect it as much as I can.

You even get some folk who, rather bizarrely, can't function in a quiet environment, and so need some form of 'noise/NOIZE' around them, in order to feel comfortable... Now, WTF is *THAT* all about??

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Grant.

pattern noise is the worst. your brain just locks on to it, even if its not loud. like a beat of a video game soundtrack as its just a loop
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Yeah, like constantly bleeping mobile phones [every time they receive some form of notification]... Can't stand it!

And yet you get folks who have their phones sat next to their beds at night, bleeping away, keeping them awake in the process. Then they moan next day because they're tired!!

Utter muppetry.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

I hardly ever sit in quiet at home. Even when I'm on my own I have background music or local radio on. However I love going out into the country or the local park and enjoying the peace and quiet of nature. Relatively speaking, of course - birds, wind, water can be "noisy" - but all very relaxing and calming. (Except when the seagulls kick off!)
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Russell.

It seems to me the man made noises are the worst offenders. Beeping, buzzing, ring tones, Jack hammers, typewriters, those sorts of things are maddening! But, I’ve been on the beach when the surf was deafening! You literally had to shout to be heard, but somehow that sound of the swells and crashing waves is therapeutic. I used to go to Nags Head, less than 4 hours from me, for a whole week, once a year, to a rented beach front house. And laying in bed at night you could still hear the ocean, and the house on stilts would sway in the wind, enough to tell. And it was most relaxing. After commercial construction work all year, it really cleared my mind and recharged my batteries.

But there are a few sounds that don’t bother me, like the sound of a Harley off in the distance. Rumbling thunder before a storm, or the sound of a babbling brook near by. That is truly a strange phenomena, camping near a creek, as you are about to doze off, the babbling water really does sound like human voices, like many people whispering, and your mind tries to pick one out, tries to catch a word, but of course you never do, it always seems to strike just as you are on the edge of sleep. And contrary to how it sounds, it is a most pleasant experience.

Russell

I'm joe.

Growing up, I lived very near a railway line, and the sounds of the trains going to and fro would lull me to sleep. I also lived near a railway line when I was a student, and again in the first house I owned. I'm sure the noise would drive me crazy now, though, as my tolerance for noise pollutions gets lower and lower.

Again, I used to be able to work with noise in the background, and indeed preferred to have music playing when doing DIY, or studying. These days, I need silence to work in, otherwise I get distracted from what I'm doing.

I'm Adam.

I think the point about man-made noise is pertinent. When I’m in bed at night, I prefer the room pitch dark and completely silent, which is exactly what we get at home, being out in the sticks.

However, we do an annual winter spa trip to Portugal with friends in February/March. The hotel is right above the beach and I love to leave the balcony door open at night and fall asleep to the sound of the sea.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Martin.

I can sleep through anything except a ticking clock. If there's a ticking clock in the room no way am I getting to sleep no matter how tired I am.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    It seems to me the man made noises are the worst offenders. Beeping, buzzing, ring tones, Jack hammers, typewriters, those sorts of things are maddening!

Russell
    I agree, but I have to say as much as I love having birds around, when they are singing, chirping and squawking from before dawn on a summer's morning, it might as well be an alarm going off. But that's the rough with the smooth I guess.

Clearaudio Emotion with Clearaudio Performer cart
    Copland CDA 266
    Copland CSA 28
    Squeezebox Touch
    Impulse Lali
    Van Damme I/Cs and cables

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast