+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: What 3 Things Are Important To You?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    In Bristol, the council spent millions planning a tram system before deciding they couldn't afford to build one.
    Yeah, like elsewhere, the money as usual would've gone to keeping the 'fat cats' in the style that they've become accustomed to!
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    For a very brief period in the 1950s, London's air quality improved when the Clean Air Act was passed. Then they tore up the tram lines and replaced the trams with diesel-fuelled buses.
    Trams, if the correct infrastructure has been put into place, which of course requires some proper planning and financial investment, are an absolutely superb modern invention, and the answer to easing city-centre congestion and pollution. Same goes for a proper underground system, both of which should feature in every major city in the civilised world.

Trams should NEVER have been done away with in the UK. Look how the likes of Amsterdam benefits! London should learn that lesson.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Absolutely, and I say that even as a diesel car-driver.

I've often wondered though, what drove you to Stoke? With respect, it's not one of the nicest places, at least what I've seen if it, and the above (in bold) is just another reason NOT to live there... So was it your job that took you there or what? You don't have a partner or kids to think of, so you must've had choices.....

Unless you had a very good reason to go to Stoke, IMHO, you'd have been far better off in Liverpool, and nearer your mum!

Marco.
    My girlfriend at the time still had 2 years to go on her degree course when I finished mine so I stuck around, by the time she finished I had made lots of friends locally, had work, and had got to like the place.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Ok, cool... May I ask what you liked about it? As aside from its history with pottery, I can find little redeeming features, just from what I've seen... But unlike you, I don't know Stoke! Go on then, put on your 'Stoke tourist board' hat and sell me Stoke as somewhere I could take Del to visit for the day!

You may include history, architecture, museums, as well as cool places to eat and drink, and nice shops to visit.....

Marco.

P.S When you retire, why not go back to Liverpool? Plenty of cheap gaffs there, which with the sale of your place, you could probably buy outright. Your mates could come and visit, and vice versa.
    Main System

I'm Martin.

It was better in the late 1980s as almost nothing had changed since the war. I loved that. In the last 20 years it's all been modernised and sanitised and a lot of the character has gone. Now it's just like anywhere else. I find the local history fascinating but that's just me. I'm not sure you would want to visit as a tourist unless you had a particular interest in ceramics, in which case a day would not be enough. It's the people that make a place, anyway.

House prices in Liverpool are twice what they are here so not much chance of me moving back there. I could probably afford a 1 bed flat in one of those skyscrapers by the docks. Can't see it happening though.
    Current Lash Up:

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    It was better in the late 1980s as almost nothing had changed since the war. I loved that. In the last 20 years it's all been modernised and sanitised and a lot of the character has gone.
    The first bit I get and can relate to. However, from what I've seen of the town centre, I don't see too many signs of 'sanitisation'!!

Now it's just like anywhere else. I find the local history fascinating but that's just me. I'm not sure you would want to visit as a tourist unless you had a particular interest in ceramics, in which case a day would not be enough. It's the people that make a place, anyway.
    Yes, we both have an interest in ceramics. Are there any 'leafy green' affluent areas of Stoke?

It's the 'grey urban misery' of it all, I find so depressing. Don't get me wrong, I'm not 'ganging up' on or singling out Stoke; the same could be said for most other cities around the UK, but it's that kinda shit that gets me down, and why I like disappearing into the countryside or seaside when I can, to see nature and breathe in some fresh air!

House prices in Liverpool are twice what they are here so not much chance of me moving back there. I could probably afford a 1 bed flat in one of those skyscrapers by the docks. Can't see it happening though.
    I'd have thought it would depend on whereabouts, though... Personally, I'd rather live in the cheapest half-decent place I could in Liverpool, than in Stoke, knowing that I'd have access to such a cool city, with so much to offer, on my doorstep.. But each to his or her own

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    The first bit I get and can relate to. However, from what I've seen of the town centre, I don't see too many signs of 'sanitisation'!!

Yes, we both have an interest in ceramics. Are there any 'leafy green' affluent areas of Stoke?
    Yes there are some posh areas, I live in one of the poorest areas which might have skewed your impression a bit. A lot less crime here than in Liverpool though. And it's quiet, which I like.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Lawrence.

Yes there are some posh areas, I live in one of the poorest areas which might have skewed your impression a bit. A lot less crime here than in Liverpool though. And it's quiet, which I like.
    Any signs of these county lines drugs gangs yet they seem to be fuck1ng up previously safe areas of the country by all accounts?

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I think so, because that and the city centre is pretty much all I've seen.

Got a linky to the "posh areas"? And by that, I mean leafy suburbs full of old properties with character, not some soulless 'posh' modern housing estates. I'd rather live where you are, among real people than within those plastic monstrosities.

You obviously like Stoke, and I understand that, which is fine, but there *must* be some equally quiet areas of Liverpool, with affordable housing, even if they're in outlying districts... For me, as long as I was within a single bus/train ride of town, it wouldn't bother me

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Martin.

This is a posh area just up the hill from me:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penkhull

And just down the road

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Villas
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast