+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New Car Waiting Time

I'm Martin.

Default New Car Waiting Time

Friend of mine has ordered a new Ford Focus with all the bells and whistles and was quoted a 12 to 17 week waiting time. It's being built in Germany (Saarlouis I guess) and you do have to wonder as to why it takes so long. I mean in the War they were being bombed round the clock but they could still knock out a Tiger tank in less than a week so it's anyone's guess as to why a Focus takes so long.

Anyway it has been 12 weeks so she has contacted the dealer to see if it is ready. And apparently it is, but it will take six weeks to ship it to the UK!

Anyone have some inside knowledge as to what that's all about? Why would it sit around in the factory for over a month before they put it on a transporter?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Most of the car companies are now making to order only rather than have lots of cars sitting in compounds. It suits them, but not the buyer. even bmw are doing it.
    I went to Toyota who dont operate that way and had mine in under 4 weeks.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

I wouldn't buy a car that I had to wait that long for. That's probably what happens when you let a woman look at the options list.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Location: Out on the wild and windy moors Lancs / Yorks Border

I'm Andy.

I think I would sooner wait for one to be built rather than have one that had been sat around in a compound for god knows how long.
    Analogue
    401 / PU7 / AT33ev
    Longdog Audio Quartz turntable PSU
    Longdog Audio MCJ1 - Prototype Phonostage
    Digital
    Innuos Zen Mini Mk 3
    Topping D50s
    Caiman Seg & Dorado
    Cambridge CXC
    Amps
    Tron Seven Linestage
    Bel Canto Set 40 or Nick Gorham built 300B Set Monoblocks
    Speakers
    Tannoy GRF Memory.
    Tannoy ST100.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I wouldn't buy a car that I had to wait that long for. That's probably what happens when you let a woman look at the options list.
    I'll tell her you said that

Thing is if the car is built now but won't get here for another six weeks then surely it is sat around in a compound for six weeks anyway? To what purpose?

Unless they deliver them by tying a couple of donkeys to the front bumper and towing it all the way from Germany to here. Even then it wouldn't take six weeks.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Geoff.

I'm guessing that they probably don't assign a single driver to transport each car, but rather have scheduled (possibly, monthly) shipments. Assuming that they go to a central UK destination first, there is probably a further delay of a week or two for the individual cars to be despatched to individual dealers.

Frankly, it doesn't sound that long a wait to me.

I'm Edward.

Centuries ago I worked for Chrysler and shipped vehicles from the USA to various Latin American countries and to the Caribbean, shipping out of Baltimore. Typically it would take 6-8 weeks from order to delivery of the vehicle to the end dealer.

I guess your friend has been caught up with 'logistics' which is meant to streamline things.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    I'm guessing that they probably don't assign a single driver to transport each car, but rather have scheduled (possibly, monthly) shipments. Assuming that they go to a central UK destination first, there is probably a further delay of a week or two for the individual cars to be despatched to individual dealers.

Frankly, it doesn't sound that long a wait to me.
    I didn't imagine they would get someone to drive each car over individually but you can get 8(?) cars on a transporter and that only needs one driver.

Take your point about them coming to some sort of distribution point in the UK first but 6 weeks from finished car rolling off the production line to actual delivery to the customer still seems like an unnecessarily long time though.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Grant.

mine was on a boat... it had my spec and was due in 3 weeks.. then a week from landing to dealership. I could have got a black one in 14 days as another boat was due in.... but they ship from Japan and Turkey.. From Germany, it depends how they are shipped. could be train or Ship.. but its a lot closer so the wait time is not right. once on uk soil it shouldnt take much more than a week; 2 at most.
    BMW said to me 3 to 4 months...maybe... i said shove it.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Most of the car companies are now making to order only rather than have lots of cars sitting in compounds. It suits them, but not the buyer. even bmw are doing it.
    I went to Toyota who dont operate that way and had mine in under 4 weeks.
    Strangely Toyota were the originator of the build to order, when the body in white hits the paint booth it's sprayed it's colour, during this time the parts for this particular variant (diesel, petrol, engine size, interior etc) are called for from the manufacturers (the manufacturers have satellite sites very close to Toyota's plant). There isn't any stock.

I worked for a brake tube manufacturer and typically had a cluster of brake and fuel lines made and delivered trackside to the appropriate station within 5 minutes, they were specific to that particular car.

Toyota were the first manufacturer to utilize "Lean Thinking" as a way to keep costs for everything as slim as possible.

There were two books written to outline these principles " The Machine that Change the World" followed by "Lean Thinking",
    Written by guys from MIT, Womac, Jones and Roose (I may have misspelt their names), both a good read if you are interested in automotive production.

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast