+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: JBL L100 upgrade advise

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Nah stop at 4367. That's all you need. It's the only really good contemporary JBL. I'm convinced of it . The Everest just ain't as good even though it should be.

If didn't have the speakers I have that's what I'd use.
    That's like Mike stopping at the Delta Integrale instead of going on for the Ferrari. I mean in reality everyone would stop at the Integrale but you wouldn't get a show out of that.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    That's like Mike stopping at the Delta Integrale instead of going on for the Ferrari. I mean in reality everyone would stop at the Integrale but you wouldn't get a show out of that.
    Stacked Everest's for maximum effect, then. Only then can he have made it.

I'm Adrian.

I thought is about time I brought this thread up to date where I now got to with the JBL's and why.

My immediate impression was I was stunned at just how good they were, I had them set them up at the factory 0 adjustments. I did some basic measurements using REW software and they have an extremely good response curve, I used to work in the Wolfson Unit sound and vibration lab at Southampton University many years ago so am reasonably familiar with speaker measurements and what is meaningful. I adjusted the settings a little using the software and my own listening and they improved a bit more.

So having decided they were really good I felt I needed to finish the job and do them justice, so I ordered some replacement foams in dark blue and badges, and I sourced some walnut strips to repair the edging strip on the grill boards as someone had cut them back at some point. I then bit the bullet and ordered some proper stands for them. I complete the grill boards yesterday and the stands arrived this afternoon. The result is pictured below.

I would say the stands have made a change to the presentation slightly, soundstage seems more focused and more 3D, the bass is more defined, clearly evident on my listening tracks 10cc - Worst Band in the World(Sheet Music) and Alan Parson's Project - I Wouldn't Want To Be Like You(I Robot). Interestingly I have listened with the new foam grill on and off and they seem to make very little difference, perhaps slightly better focus with them off. I keep putting on a listening track and then just let it run to see how the next sounds, all very enjoyable.

I am truly stunned by these speakers, everything just sings, and with the recent Belden RCA cable changes it has just all come together. I would recommend them to anyone who like a realistic and engaging sound from their system to give them a go.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345