+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: JBL L100 upgrade advise

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    In a thousand years time scholars will still conclude that if you were going to be stuck anywhere in time then the 1970s would be the optimal choice.
    Why? - the fashion was terrible: tank tops, tight fitting shirts, flared trousers and platform heels!
    Barry

I'm Martin.

We didn't notice at the time...
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

Anyway

Best music
    Best films
    Best telly
    Best football
    best boxing
    best F1
    best cars
    best summers
    best interior design
    Current Lash Up:

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Anyway

Best music
    Best films
    Best telly
    Best football
    best boxing
    best F1
    best cars
    best summers
    best interior design
    You have to be joking!
    Barry

I'm Adrian.

In a thousand years time scholars will still conclude that if you were going to be stuck anywhere in time then the 1970s would be the optimal choice.
    I completely agree with you for once Martin, quality music, quality cars, , and quality times
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Adrian.

So to update my L100 tidy up, here are some pics of the result.

After rubbed down, 3 coats of Liberon, and recovering the grills, and replacing the binding posts with sensible modern ones.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Before and after

[IMG][/IMG]

And in the lounge sat on temporary stand made from oak, to get them off the floor and at an angle.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

So next it is to make some wooden stands at limited cost. Then I need to source some Walnut beading to redo the grill surrounds ready for replacement Grill Foams. Once I have got the money together then I will order some metal stands and the grill foams.

So how do the sound? So far I have listened to Deep Purple - Fireball and the first disc of Eva Cassidy - Nightbird (7 disc 45rpm box set), R. Strauus - Also Spracht Zarathusa, and Ravi Shankar Portait of a Genius. The Deep Purple just rocks and is alive. Eva Cassidy is definitely not coming out of the speakers but is firmly on the stage playing her guitar. Also Spracht was a surprise, the opening track which many know (2001 Space Odyssey) is quite wonderful, the kettle bells blow you back in your set and the bass from the double basses and the organ just hits you. What is also lovely is that on the second part which has some delicate strings and woodwind the orchestra sounds as if in the room with good instrument separation. The Ravi Shankar is one of my favourite test records, it is great for dynamics with hand held percussion, any array of Inidan hand drums, flute and of course sitar. The L100's certainly bring the music of this record to life in a very natural way.

Well they are pretty impressive for a design speaker that is actually 50 years old, and these were made in the mid 70's. They actually give a rather lovely smooth and engaging rendition. What is surprising in my set up is that even the top end and mid range is very good in comparison to my Vienna Acoustics, I would say that the VA's have slightly more detail at the top end, presumably due to modern tweeter design, but nothing to detract from the overall musical rendition. The bass and low mid is where they are quite divine, they produce oodles of it, it has a very nice warm feel but is still very controlled. The sound stage is extremely impressive as well. Considering they are are just plonked on temporary wooden blocks I am very impressed. Overall a very accomplished and musical sounding speaker IMO.

So IMHO anyone who is looking for an open and uncluttered sound from their system with plenty of punch you could do a lot worse that a pair of JBL L100. I noticed that there is a pair for sale on Ebay with some stands -JBL-L100-Century-Vintage-Classic-Speakers-inc-Stands They look a little later than mine but appear to be in quite good condition.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm matt.

The more you bring them up off the floor, the less lower midrange/midbass you will get (deep bass is omnidirectional so woofer positon relative to the floor doesn't matter). It would be worth experimenting with something tempory to lift them off the floor before spending money on stands, because there's a chance you may not like the result.

I'm Martin.

Back in the day they were usually on metal open frame stands about 8 inches off the floor and angled slightly up. So you're not far off that deployment now. Although for the full 1970s experience one speaker should be completely behind the couch, firing into it. And a porcelain 'woodland scene' or similar item of tat should be placed on a doily atop each cabinet...

They look excellent after that refurb though. I'm quite jealous.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Steve.

Back in the day they were usually on metal open frame stands about 8 inches off the floor and angled slightly up. So you're not far off that deployment now. Although for the full 1970s experience one speaker should be completely behind the couch, firing into it. And a porcelain 'woodland scene' or similar item of tat should be placed on a doily atop each cabinet...

They look excellent after that refurb though. I'm quite jealous.
    Don't forget a nearly-full ashtray on the one nearest your chair I'm really getting to like JBLs, would they work off a 300b amp, or do they need more watts up 'em?
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Graham.

Great work Adrian ��. Have you got any pics sans grilles?
    I have not dissimilar 4311, as you say the upper bass is sublime, I think its one reason they are great for rock as they are made for picking out the bass line.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast