+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL L100 upgrade advise

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Kvaal View Post
    If you want to keep the sound in the original shape, you should not change anything. Speakers like this is made by care to all components - wire as well as caps. Speakercaps lasts for decades, and the inside wire is carefully calculated to match the rest. I tried to better my speakers some years ago, using Rega-cables inside, from the posts to the filter. It altered the sound balance to something i could not like. I put the old wires again, and i am happy with them as they are now.
    Mmm interesting, I will think it through, the wires inside are extremely lightweight and thin, although I have no idea what they are made of or their quality. Thanks for you advice.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Adrian.

So today I started on the first L100 and removed the speakers which was pretty easy. then I set down to running down the cabinets. Not too bad and with some walnut coloured wood filler I am hoping to get way with not re-veneering them.They have come up quite well, I am just waiting for the filler to firm up on the bottom corners.

The grill cover had some well worm speaker grill material on it, which I removed and scarped the rear of the board. I am not sure whether to by some replacement foams, they are available from the USA but come in at about £300 a pair for decent ones with shipping etc. It would be nice to return them to original though. If anyone knows where to source some at a better price please let me know? I have seen ones from Poland but not sure about the quality, has anyone had any of these? I have some Royal Blue speaker material so for now will probably just recover the grills with that.

Once I have finished rubbing down I will touch up the black paint and then use some Liberon on the cabinets.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Martin.

I'd go for the cheap Polish grilles. How bad can they be? It's only a grille in any case, £300 plus shipping is ludicrous.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I'd go for the cheap Polish grilles. How bad can they be? It's only a grille in any case, £300 plus shipping is ludicrous.
    If they were designed to be listened to with the grills in situ, as would befit a domestic loudspeaker, then the grill material (an open foam in this case) might well have been part of the acoustic design. I would tread carefully with their replacement.

I once heard the L100s many years ago in a record shop. They were suspended from the ceiling and playing 'Heroes and Villains' by the Beach Boys. Was very taken with them, to the point that I still remember the experience.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

They are domestic version of a studio monitor so fine with no grilles. Not that it makes much of a difference either way.
    Current Lash Up:

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    They are domestic version of a studio monitor so fine with no grilles. Not that it makes much of a difference either way.
    OK - but they look so much better fitted with the sculptured foam 'waffle iron' grille. I would choose the brown grille, so it looked like a giant chocolate bar!
    Barry

I'm Martin.

I like the orange meself. But I wouldn't be paying 300 notes out for them.
    Current Lash Up:

Yes, the orange grille looks good.
    Barry

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Yes, the orange grille looks good.
    Agreed ... but, I am stuck in the 70s

Quality speakers, Adrian ... good project, well worth the effort imo.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by petrat View Post
    Agreed ... but, I am stuck in the 70s

In a thousand years time scholars will still conclude that if you were going to be stuck anywhere in time then the 1970s would be the optimal choice.
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast