+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: JBL L100 upgrade advise

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Don't forget a nearly-full ashtray on the one nearest your chair I'm really getting to like JBLs, would they work off a 300b amp, or do they need more watts up 'em?
    Depends on what sort of levels you want. They are pretty sensitive so you don't need many watts.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Don't forget a nearly-full ashtray on the one nearest your chair I'm really getting to like JBLs, would they work off a 300b amp, or do they need more watts up 'em?
    I am driving them with a ALLNIC T1500 mk2 which is a SET amp and rated at 12W per channel, I have it just above half volume for proper listening and is pushing out around 80-85dB, which is more than enough. Take it up to 3/4 volume and things in the house start to shake, rattle 'n' roll.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by graham67 View Post
    Great work Adrian ��. Have you got any pics sans grilles?
    I have not dissimilar 4311, as you say the upper bass is sublime, I think its one reason they are great for rock as they are made for picking out the bass line.
    I had to look up sans , my schoolboy Francáis and old brain stopped working. Hear you go.

By the way just listened to Rickie Lee Jones - Girl At Her Volcano very laid back jazz, piano , bass drums and breathe vocals and the L100's perform superb. I am beginning to think that these are really quite special speakers, and can't think why I did not consider them before, especially as I heard them many times at my best friends, maybe we just didn't really listen and were just pumping out heavy rock.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Back in the day they were usually on metal open frame stands about 8 inches off the floor and angled slightly up. So you're not far off that deployment now. Although for the full 1970s experience one speaker should be completely behind the couch, firing into it. And a porcelain 'woodland scene' or similar item of tat should be placed on a doily atop each cabinet...

They look excellent after that refurb though. I'm quite jealous.
    Thanks Martin, I am rather pleased with the result visually and sonically. I think I have some suitable concrete blocks to raise them up a further 5", the temporary stands actually incline them 5 degrees which is what I think it was originally. It actually would not be that hard to extend the current wood stands from and back with simple cross bracing as on them now and attached them with bracing internally, probably only cost about £6 in wood.

I will eventually replace the grills with some funky foam ones, I think they're worth it, and if I'm feeling flush with get some metal stands I have found for £200. But that can what for now.

I'm Adrian.

Time for a quick update, I have been listening to the JBL L100 Century's quite a lot, when I changed tone arms recently I switched back to the Vienna Acoustics to listen to some listening track to evaluate the JELCO TK850M. The immediate change is in the bottom end, the VA's do produce quite a bit of low end bass but it just has not got the same oomph as the JBL's. The top end with the VA's may be slightly sweeter but it is quite subjective to be honest. So after a day or so I plugged back in the JBL's and I am definitely enjoying them, they seem to partner well with the ALLNIC T1500 and my TT setup.

Mmm where do I go next, well not far I think, finish off the JBL's with some foams and stands and be happy I think.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Mmm where do I go next
    Bigger JBL's!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

+1

Trade up from them to some Everests step by step like Mike does in 'Wheeler Dealers: On The Road.'
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Adrian.

+1

Trade up from them to some Everests step by step like Mike does in 'Wheeler Dealers: On The Road.'
    I presume you mean a pair of these?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JBL-PROJE...IAAOSwXFRcWMV7

I think I would have to turn the garage into a man-cave music room and install a small wood burner for heating in the winter. So with the cost of these and the garage conversion I estimate a spend of around £20K, nothing to worry about then.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    I presume you mean a pair of these?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JBL-PROJE...IAAOSwXFRcWMV7

I think I would have to turn the garage into a man-cave music room and install a small wood burner for heating in the winter. So with the cost of these and the garage conversion I estimate a spend of around £20K, nothing to worry about then.
    No trade up to it, buy better and better JBLs, tart them up adding a bit of value each time then eventually you arrive at the Everest as your last leap. The garage conversion is a good idea too.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Justin.

No trade up to it, buy better and better JBLs, tart them up adding a bit of value each time then eventually you arrive at the Everest as your last leap. The garage conversion is a good idea too.
    Nah stop at 4367. That's all you need. It's the only really good contemporary JBL. I'm convinced of it . The Everest just ain't as good even though it should be.

If didn't have the speakers I have that's what I'd use.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast