+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Royd Minstrels.

I'm Martin.

Yes they deserve the best source and flat earth amplification you can throw at them. There is a lot to say if you can pick them up for the right price now

You have to find a pair without gumming issues so its hard to recommend a no brainer buy. It can be a labour of love and I had to circle paper round the core with careful use of white spirit. They have a great soundstage and detail jumps out of nowhere in a way I havent heard other budget speakers do. Royd dont play it safe like other budget speakers I could mention...they deserve your experimentation. What they do with bass just has to be heard to be believed.

They have a delicateness but a punch if you get me. A sophistication and a taste of the high end. A bounce and a timing just right to put a smile on. They are growers as you learn what they are capable of. I feel they are not going to amaze everybody on a first listen and youve got to get a pair that have been well looked after.

What Royds give is that knowing feeling that youve bought something very well designed by someone who cares. You will nod and think yeah and that new awareness can happen every time you listen..... like they keep growing on you.

Yes Joe had speakers higher up the range but its hard not to love the little Minstrel

They can sound bright balanced and you cant be too shy with the volume control but Im not feeding them with the amps they deserve. I havent heard them at their best yet which excites me to get a move on

Oh and I find they they sound better spiked onto concrete slabs.

What can I really say but you should really try and hear a pair fired up
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 10-06-2019 at 20:01.

I'm alan.

Royds are superb.....they are the Jim Carrey of speakers.

But ...it's Eden's ya want.

I've tried em all, but the wee Eden's are like Harbeth P3-ESRs on speed.

Superb.......Ali Tate call back...!!!

I'm Shane.

I've heard Minstrels sounding good with 35w tube amps. Do the Minstrels have internal bracing inside? I've always wondered, considering the cabs are quite narrow etc.

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by southall-1998_mk2 View Post
    I've heard Minstrels sounding good with 35w tube amps. Do the Minstrels have internal bracing inside? I've always wondered, considering the cabs are quite narrow etc.

S.
    No, they have a steel plate glued to the inside of the back panel and a chunk of rubber type substance (a bit more dense than raw jelly) inbetween the back of the woofer and the inside of the back panel. Whenever you buy a pair of Minstrels, it's worth removing the midbass driver to make sure the chunk of rubber hasn't fallen to the bottom of the cabinet. It probably wouldn't fall on it's own but if someone removed the driver in the past, they may not have noticed it drop.

I'm Neil.

3hrs to go on these RR1s, Royd house sound with more refinement & more fleshed out sound, I'd take these over Minstrels:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Royd-RR1-...e/254253462320
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Martin.

Yes those RR1s went for £367 so providing they work as they should, someone has got one hell of a good buy there.

The Minstrels are not a no brainer buy as there are plenty of tatty/knackered examples out there.

I picked my mint looking pair up for £142 with Linn K20 cable thrown in. Ok it cost me to go and collect them but not that much. If I had paid double that price I would still have been happy.

I would say that its well worth experiencing the Royd sound. I never said the Minstrels were the last word in sound...just something I had to do

Other models are available from time to time

I'm Jules.

I've been listening to a pair of these recently matched with a Nait 5 (cranked up to 3pm) connected with Chord Carnival Silverscreen & I was pleasantly surprised, having been underwhelmed originally when I heard them over 2 decades ago.

Even more surprising was how much better things got when I swapped in a Nait 3. Not the easiest amp to love @ times, but breathtaking @ times running the TV (Chernobyl was a revelation). Similarly great with 6Music.

I swapped in Royd Abbots, which were good, but underwhelming.

I changed again to the Nait 3's usual partners, Mordaunt Short MS25i & although pacey & exiting, they just weren't as exuberant.

I just think the Minstrels need to be driven to give their best & the often denuded Nait 3 can show just how good it can be.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12