+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new to me stand

I'm Mike.

Default My new to me stand

Just got one of those old Target stands off Ebay for £25, very rigid and feels nailed to my floor as its spiked! I actually prefer the look of these rather industrial looking old stand than the horrid tubular metal ones or the 'tasteful' wooden ones, and now I've got 2 more shelves! Mind you the Quad gets pretty hot, should I give it more space to breathe on top? Also had to remove my turntable shelf to fit this in, gonna reposition it a bit higher up the wall. Would the heat from the Quad affect the pre amp above? Bearing in mind I should be getting a Croft 25 pre soon, so that'll sit on the top shelf, that's the plan anyway.

IMG_20190607_123743162_HDR by Mike Van, on Flickr

IMG_20190607_123750492_HDR by Mike Van, on Flickr
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Martin.

How hot is your QUAD getting Mike? Wouldn't have thought it would get any more than warm (like a radiator on low heat) in normal use, even after hours of it. If it's really hot (as in you can't leave your hand against it for long) after a couple of hours you need to get it checked out.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    How hot is your QUAD getting Mike? Wouldn't have thought it would get any more than warm (like a radiator on low heat) in normal use, even after hours of it. If it's really hot (as in you can't leave your hand against it for long) after a couple of hours you need to get it checked out.
    Its pretty warm but not so hot you can't leave your hand on it.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Martin.

Ah it's fine then.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Rich.

There is something very likeable about that range of Target stands. Simple, but very good at what they were designed to do.

Clearaudio Emotion with Clearaudio Performer cart
    Copland CDA 266
    Copland CSA 28
    Squeezebox Touch
    Impulse Lali
    Van Damme I/Cs and cables

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by stairpost View Post
    There is something very likeable about that range of Target stands. Simple, but very good at what they were designed to do.
    Yeh they are extremely solid/rigid. For the prices they command nowadays they are a bargain. This one has spiked feet as well, my last one had just plastic feet. I had one of those Atacama monstrosities once, bloody massive, stuck out from the wall a mile, lasted one day in my lounge then on Ebay!

I'm Ian.

I've got a Target stand like yours and as you say they're nice and solid and reassuringly heavy on the spikes. I've also got a Sound Style stand which is also a hefty thing but just looks a bit tacky.
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian7633 View Post
    I've got a Target stand like yours and as you say they're nice and solid and reassuringly heavy on the spikes. I've also got a Sound Style stand which is also a hefty thing but just looks a bit tacky.
    Yeh after the industrial old style stands, the 90s seemed to bring that horrible black glass/tubular steel stands, very tacky. I hated the Atacama newer one too with the separate shelfs, too much plastic on it.

I'm Richard.

image.jpgimage.jpgI'm with you Mike, but my choice of 'industrial' is sound organisation.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny nocash View Post
    image.jpgimage.jpgI'm with you Mike, but my choice of 'industrial' is sound organisation.
    Were Target and SO the same company, that shelf is identical!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast