+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Original colour of Garrard 401 platter?

I'm Andrew.

Default Original colour of Garrard 401 platter?

Hi, guys do any of you have a mint 401 platter? Could I ask a favour? Could you Please post a picture so I can examine it for my 401 resto project.

Many thanks

A
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm sorted.

This do you?

I'm Andrew.

That's great, how would you describe the outer, darker part? Matt black? Also, do you know if the whole of the platter was the same colour or two tone like yours?
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Mike.

Maybe dark gray ( gunmetal ?) then wire wool to rub down the central part to blend it to that lighter colour?

Looking at others photos on the net most seem to have that shading towards the middle.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    Maybe dark gray ( gunmetal ?) then wire wool to rub down the central part to blend it to that lighter colour?

Looking at others photos on the net most seem to have that shading towards the middle.
    i agree with you, I've done a couple of hours searching on the net and all you see is the two-tone variety
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    That's great, how would you describe the outer, darker part? Matt black? Also, do you know if the whole of the platter was the same colour or two tone like yours?
    Yes, definitely matt & it all looks original to me.

I'm Paul.

Mine is the same. As far as I can tell it looks like before final finishing the edge of the platter was sprayed. The two tone looks like overspray from not masking the top of the platter. Once sprayed the platter was turned to bring out the strobe indicators and the top edge of the rim.
    ~Paul~

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Mine isn’t as black

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Location: Out on the wild and windy moors Lancs / Yorks Border

I'm Andy.

Mine looks pretty much identical to Roy S
    Analogue
    401 / PU7 / AT33ev
    Longdog Audio Quartz turntable PSU
    Longdog Audio MCJ1 - Prototype Phonostage
    Digital
    Innuos Zen Mini Mk 3
    Topping D50s
    Caiman Seg & Dorado
    Cambridge CXC
    Amps
    Tron Seven Linestage
    Bel Canto Set 40 or Nick Gorham built 300B Set Monoblocks
    Speakers
    Tannoy GRF Memory.
    Tannoy ST100.

I'm mark.

They're very dark brown/black rather than grey/black, the 301 does look black.

Same as anything, the painting did change, I've an early 401 which is smooth, almost 301 enamel, I've had later 401's with fine textured finish.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast