+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How to get a good sound out of JR 149s

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    Unfortunately, I'm not going to try double stacking the 149's just yet, some serious things in my life need to be resolved first.

Suspect that double stacking JR149's would work. Only possible trouble is connecting them in parallel, nominal impedance will be half, OK for most amps, but not all.

The reason I went for four DM2a's per side, was that a series / parallel connection, would bring the nominal impedance back to 8 Ohms.
    If you want 8 ohms impedance won't one speaker per side work fine, and be far less complicated!

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    If you want 8 ohms impedance won't one speaker per side work fine, and be far less complicated!

Yes indeed, however 2 arranged stacked speakers that are pretty well identical, represent a great opportunity to get a bigger sound.
    Where another amp like 2x stereo 303 , or 306 are used there are then amplifier channels to cater for this different but beneficial arrangement.

If we look at dispersion from speakers - the ESL57 by Quad is a great model to get ideas from, we see the middle of the speaker is the treble panel and
    two bass panels per side are used. It is no coincidence the Gale 401 also copied this same idea with 8 inch acoustic suspension drivers either end and
    a Peerless midrange and Celestion tweeter in the middle. Move ahead many years and MBL use the same principle, using moving magnet rather than
    moving coil drivers. Hence a stacking arrangement like using JR149 should try tweeters facing each other and bass drivers either end... well that's the theory.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    Yes indeed, however 2 arranged stacked speakers that are pretty well identical, represent a great opportunity to get a bigger sound.
    Where another amp like 2x stereo 303 , or 306 are used there are then amplifier channels to cater for this different but beneficial arrangement.

If we look at dispersion from speakers - the ESL57 by Quad is a great model to get ideas from, we see the middle of the speaker is the treble panel and
    two bass panels per side are used. It is no coincidence the Gale 401 also copied this same idea with 8 inch acoustic suspension drivers either end and
    a Peerless midrange and Celestion tweeter in the middle. Move ahead many years and MBL use the same principle, using moving magnet rather than
    moving coil drivers. Hence a stacking arrangement like using JR149 should try tweeters facing each other and bass drivers either end... well that's the theory.
    I was only joking. He only mentioned a requirement for 8 ohms impedance not an increase in SPL, scale and (subjective) dynamics.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234