+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good MM Phono Stage

I'm Mathew.

Default Good MM Phono Stage

Hi,

I'm after a good MM SS phono stage.

I have a Linn Sondek somewhere around Akurate level with a DV20XL cartridge, Naim Nova amp.

I'm not too fixed on budget, just something that would work well in context.

Any recommendations?

I'm Tom.

I went through a few in varying budgets, including a few of the so called giant killers..

NAD PP2
    Trichord Dino with NCPS
    Angle Audio battery version
    Arkless Turbo
    Firebottle loaner
    Graham Slee Reflex M with PSU 1
    Croft RIAA
    EAR 834
    WhestTWO

For my taste the Whest was comfortably the best for MM, and I think it would work well with your cartridge.

I'm Grant.

I'm using a top range project. Does both and can connect to pc and play it digitally too. It's a very nice but of kit. The ds2 range
    Phono box ds2 usb I think it goes by. You can get a non USB too. The dig on the fly is super
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Karl.

+ 1 for the graham slee stuff. I had both a Slee with PSU1 power supply( which makes a nice difference) and a firebottle when i had moving magnet carts and both were very good and id say on par with one another, very good value for money. I Sinced moved to Whest 2.2 which is a whole other ball game all together and surprising how fairly priced you get get one if you speak to james directly, hes a good egg and will sort one way under retail prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm Steve.

Hi Mathew
    Ive tried quite a few and ended up with a Pure Sound P10 for mm and added the T10 to give me mc.
    Its a valve phono stage and sounds fantastic.
    This will be moving on as soon as i complete building my Bigbottle phono stage.

Good luck Steve...
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Phono Stage; Rega Aria, Bigbottle 3 mm/mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

I'm Mathew.

Cheers for the suggestions, quite like the look of the whest2 mentioned.

I'm currently using the Tisbury Audio budget phono stage which punches well above it's weight at £150 (does mm better than mc I think), just looking for something slightly more refined. I also have a Croft RIAA R which is refined but lacks the dynamics of ss.
    Last edited by mathewf; 06-06-2019 at 14:40.

I'm Tom.

I agree, for me the SS amps were much more punchy and dynamic with an MM cartridge.

I'm alan.

I think this was touched upon in a previous post, but the "Pathos - In the groove" phono is superb.

I'm alan.

Or try a Rothwell or a phono from the brand that can't be named.

I'm Mathew.

Aren't there a couple brands that can't be named?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast