+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thorens TD124 mk2 Switch Suppressor Condensor capacitor value?

I'm Adam.

Default Thorens TD124 mk2 Switch Suppressor Condensor capacitor value?

Apologies in advance for a pretty basic question,
    can anyone shed light on the optimal capacitor value to replace
    an old Thorens TD124 mk2 Switch Suppressor Condensor for UK voltage?

(the motor still spins & strobe light is on when switched to 0)

Cheers in advance..
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Josie.

Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Adam.

Thanks Josie!
    Appreciated

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Yes, that is what I used on one of my 124s. Be careful when replacing the suppressor: it shares the switch contacts with the mains cable, which is a bit thick, unwieldy and difficult to re-attach.
    Barry

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Yes, that is what I used on one of my 124s. Be careful when replacing the suppressor: it shares the switch contacts with the mains cable, which is a bit thick, unwieldy and difficult to re-attach.
    thanks Barry, ...maybe past my station !?

The secret is to remove all the solder from the switch contacts after desoldering the wires and suppressor, using a solder sucker. Then attach and mechanically captivate the leads of the new suppressor, then solder on the wires, which will in turn solder up the suppressor connections. At time you may feel you need three hands - but it can be done.
    Barry

I'm Adam.

Thanks Barry... looking forward to it.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    The secret is to remove all the solder from the switch contacts after desoldering the wires and suppressor, using a solder sucker. Then attach and mechanically captivate the leads of the new suppressor, then solder on the wires, which will in turn solder up the suppressor connections. At time you may feel you need three hands - but it can be done.
    It was indeed a job for a 3 handed person but I managed.. thanks for your help.

Well done Adam.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread