+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Home Built Arcade

I'm Gary.

AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepperamip View Post
    I'll have to check if I've got centipede but as you say without the roller ball it wouldn't feel right.. Same with Astoroids or Missle Command (forgot about them two didn't ya

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    Asteroids didn't have a rollerball. Five buttons - Rotate left, Rotate right, thrust, hyperspace and fire IIRC.

I've got the Atari console version but like all their versions of proper arcade games it isn't as good as the real thing. Much too easy as well.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Asteroids didn't have a rollerball. Five buttons - Rotate left, Rotate right, thrust, hyperspace and fire IIRC.

I've got the Atari console version but like all their versions of proper arcade games it isn't as good as the real thing. Much too easy as well.
    Was there a "brake" or did you have to wait for it to slow down? Actually scratch that, I think you could turn round 180 degs and thrust then slowed you down. I remember shooting across the screen and appearing at the other side several times at wild angles before hitting something.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

Yes, if you thrusted you just kept going even when you came off the power just like in real space. Stopping was usually only achieved by colliding with an asteroid and dying so it was only used in extremis. And hyperspace would put you somewhere random on the screen, usually inside an asteroid with the same result. It was also common to hit thrust by accident whilst panicking in a tricky situation.

I got pretty good at Space Invaders and Galaxians, 10p would last me an hour on them but I was never rich enough to be able to afford to get good at Asteroids.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Martin.

'Scramble' was my other fave from that era although I only once got past the cave level and then died immediately. That was another expensive game to learn. The home computer versions were all too easy by comparison.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Lawrence.

My favourite early game was I think called Rommel's Revenge with 3d wireframe graphics, I think you just had two handles, forward and back for the left and right tracks, and a fire button.

Edit: It was battlezone, and called Rommel's revenge on home computers.

My favourite. "hi res" later game (still early for these days) was 1942.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

Remember 'Lunar Lander'? What a rip off that was. It was 20p a go not 10p and you basically had to be able to fly a real lunar lander if you wanted to last more than 5 seconds. And the console was massive as well, took up half the arcade. I never saw anyone land the thing. I saw one bloke one time who managed to control it for about half a minute or so and we thought he was going to do it, but then he lost it and crashed.
    Current Lash Up:

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

My mate’s got an actual original Asteroids arcade machine (and a stock of old style 10p’s!) and correct Macca, only buttons. Probably worth a pretty penny now, he bought it for nothing from an arcade in Norfolk in the early 90’s. My other mate got Galaxians (I think) - I was too tight at the time to buy one!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Martin.

Lucky man. I have a mate who is into pinball machines mainly but had an eye on the whole scene and he reckoned three grand for a good condition original working console, varies a bit depending on the game.

He's got 4 pinball machines in his dining room and 3 more in one of the bedrooms. Not married ofc.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

I uaed to love Defender, the noises were fantastic . Trying to save all the men and going into hyperspace . Great!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    At the cutting edge of Numptyness!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast