+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Croft servicing

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by IHP View Post
    I've heard it said that his availability during the cricket season is limited !
    Fair enough, email is not the most reliable communications method, what with spam etc.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Dave.

Spoke with him a couple of days ago but he is away now.

I'm John.

Personally, I'd have gone for the micro A, which has a better power supply.
    Assuming that it's all in good order.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlemaker View Post
    Personally, I'd have gone for the micro A, which has a better power supply.
    Assuming that it's all in good order.
    I didn't know much about the models, is that a higher spec? What I like about the one I've been offered is it has one volume control, one selector, the micro A did have one volume control but 2 selectors, left and right channel, PITA!
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    I didn't know much about the models, is that a higher spec? What I like about the one I've been offered is it has one volume control, one selector, the micro A did have one volume control but 2 selectors, left and right channel, PITA!
    The micro A will have been modified if it has a single volume control. Maybe other mods lurk within? Any such work may well have been done competently (perhaps even by GC himself) but I'd advise caution.

I'm James.

Yeh, he didn't answer.
    He told me he’s busy while the cricket World Cup is on. I was looking for an upgrade and he said wait til July.

This is all part of the reason I love Croft. Superb-sounding, non-flashy valve amps named after a guy whose surname means small Scottish farm and who stops all work for cricket. Could you get any more British than that?

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Jas0_0 View Post
    He told me he’s busy while the cricket World Cup is on. I was looking for an upgrade and he said wait til July.

This is all part of the reason I love Croft. Superb-sounding, non-flashy valve amps named after a guy whose surname means small Scottish farm and who stops all work for cricket. Could you get any more British than that?
    That's good old fashioned service for you! No really, 'wait till the crickets over', sounds like the man's got his priorities right.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Well apart from the fact that I know how good Croft amps sound, they are now elevated to a whole new level of desirability after reading this! (And I don't even like cricket! )
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Alan.

Anyone Crofters out there? This all look normal?
    That all looks normal to me. It has the MOSFet power supply filtering rather than valve regulation of earlier/other models.

It is unlikely that anything would need a service, the design is conservative and very low power so things run cool.
    I could check it over for you if you get no joy with Glenn.

I'm Mike.

Once again Croft don't reply to emails, but I would like this Micro 25 pre looked over and possibly implement the mod as suggested by Ian below:

"I hope all is well with you and the 909 ! When using my 25R with a 909 GC advised this.....

If you change the line stage valve in the 25R to a 12BH7a that will reduce the output impedance of the amp so that it will be able to drive the Quad properly.

Adding....

It's an impedance issue which will affect fidelity.

I don't know whether this would apply to the 25, I'm not technically minded, but thought I'd flag this up."

Been listening to the Croft for a month or two now with my 909 and it sounds a tad rough I must say. My system is not quite there yet.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast