+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Crap Weather For June

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Lol, I'm sure that Poplar had its charms! Yes, I still have some family in Barga, mainly cousins, as all the old folks have passed away now.

This was taken at a recent jazz festival in the old part of the town:

And in the old part of the town during one of the many local festivals, which are just so much fun:

Newer (lower) part of the town, showing the 'Alpino', which is our favourite bar/restaurant (the owners are old friends of the family - it's an Italian thing):

Love sitting out here on a warm summer's evening, sipping a Campari Soda, and enjoying some superb wood-fired pizza, just watching the world go by...

And back in the medieval part of the town, showing the singer/songwriter Paolo Nutini (who's a third cousin of mine - my dad and his granddad were good friends), and who also comes from Barga:

So I'll be looking forward to seeing all these places again in the summer! If you fancy a holiday there sometime, let me know, as I have some good contacts

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lol, I'm sure that Poplar had its charms! .
    It doesn’t , although flats in those blocks now change hands for the best part of half a million.

Only been to Italy once in 2002, just for a long weekend when Ryanair used to do those mega cheap flights. We stayed in Turin near the Po

Would love to go back.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

So Marco, you are related to Paolo Nutini ! I'm related to Jeremy Dammers of 'The Specials'.

BTW Happy and I loved our time in Tuscany. Although we weren't able to visit Barga, we did stay in Lucca which I believe is not too far distant. Must go back someday.
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    So Marco, you are related to Paolo Nutini ! I'm related to Jeremy Dammers of 'The Specials'.

BTW Happy and I loved our time in Tuscany. Although we weren't able to visit Barga, we did stay in Lucca which I believe is not too far distant. Must go back someday.
    Cool stuff, Barry! Yeah, my dad knew his gran and granddad well [they were also in the fish & chip shop business], whom he was related to and who both used to stay on he same street as Del and I did in Lanfine Road in Ralston, up in Scotland, before we moved down to North Wales. There's a big 'Barga connection' in nearby Paisley, and of course in Glasgow, too.

This is almost identical to the bungalow we lived in (we were in No 32), and this one is just down the road, and also almost identical to the one Paolo's grandparents had: https://www.google.com/search?q=lanf...zVYY-YOg1rrAM:

I used to see Paolo, as a young boy, visiting his grandparents, although he wouldn't know me now, but he'd certainly remember coming to see his grandparents in Lanfine Rd. I can get hold of signed pics and copies of his albums for anyone looking for that, such as did some of the girls in the college where Del works - they loved that!

Yes, the walled town of Lucca is the nearest large town to Barga, which as you've been, you'll know is beautiful and packed full of history. The cobbled streets, lined with interesting shops and eateries are lovely, and we always visit Lucca when we're in Italy.

Next time, try and get to Barga, as there are fairly regular buses and trains from Lucca, and I can tell you lots of interesting places to visit!

While we're based in Barga this year, we want to get the train to Florence, as Del's only been once years ago, and also visit Bologna, which is the foodie capital of Tuscany. A truly amazing city, which is grossly underrated, compared with the likes of Florence and Milan, and not quite as touristy - more 'real', if you know what I mean?

Plus, we also want to visit one of our favourite islands, Elba, which is just stunning, particularly our favourite part, called Capoliveri: https://www.visittuscany.com/en/dest...ns/capoliveri/

Just STUNNING, in every way! You'd love it, mate

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Steve.

Small world! Adam, my daughter's fiancé has family in Tuscany, and has met Paolo Nutini once or twice. I'll find out where in Tuscany Adam hails from, and try to get a couple of pics to post on here
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

Yeah, that would be interesting to know, Steve

Other celebrities from Barga include the mother of actress Tamzin Outhwaite (of Eastenders fame) and Daniella Nardini: https://www.google.com/search?q=dani...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Martin.

I see some of you are posting holiday photos to rub salt into the wound. How cruel!

Grey, dull rainy day in Wrexham, and rather dark too.... Don't mind that, as I'm not going anywhere today, and the gloomy weather makes for ideal movie-watching conditions, so will probably just close the curtains, pour myself a beer, and watch a nice spooky movie

Quite fancy this:

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    While we're based in Barga this year, we want to get the train to Florence, as Del's only been once years ago,.
    We're off to Florence for five days in August - never been before but have heard good things.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm sure you'll love it, Adam. Hey, we might bump into you!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast