+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 36 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Crap Weather For June

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Bloody hell, where have you been, dafty?

Are you allergic to emails and PMs?

Marco.
    Not really allergic, but I did decide to go "off the grid" for the duration of my holiday. I took my phone, but ignored all calls, and still managed to pick up three new jobs to come back to, without even replying to texts! My only "interaction" with the wider world were the three novels I got through on my kindle, plus the latest issue of "Hi Fi News". I always get a copy to read on the outbound flight, never buy it any other time of year.

I should have made more of an effort - I got to see some real odd shapes walking round in their beachwear which I should have photographed, but couldn't be arsed carrying my phone round with me.

Actually managed to get a bit of a tan without even trying. Not the olive skin colour that you Italian dudes enjoy, more like the colour of diarrhoea-soaked white grundies after they've had a 20c cool wash with no detergent. Look out laydees!
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Martin.

Don't really understand this business of reading books on holiday. What is the point of that? You can sit in your own house and read a book, why pay thousands of pounds and travel thousands of miles to do it, the experience is exactly the same. Except for on the plane flight there and back it makes no sense.

Same applies for watching TV. I know some people who load up their ipad things with films to watch while they're away. It's crackers.

IMV if you need to read books or watch TV on holiday then you should have gone somewhere more interesting.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Don't really understand this business of reading books on holiday. What is the point of that? You can sit in your own house and read a book, why pay thousands of pounds and travel thousands of miles to do it, the experience is exactly the same. Except for on the plane flight there and back it makes no sense.

Same applies for watching TV. I know some people who load up their ipad things with films to watch while they're away. It's crackers.

IMV if you need to read books or watch TV on holiday then you should have gone somewhere more interesting.
    I suppose if I committed all my savings to a "big" holiday, I could probably get a fortnight somewhere more interesting every three or four years.

I quite fancy India, but the idea of several hours on their trains, with not much to look at other than interminable bony cows to look at out the window, sounds like a good advert for reading books. And then how long can you look at the Taj Mahal before saying "Right that's that ticked off, what's next on the list?" before getting back on the train? I'm sure even the most exotic/adventurous/spiritually enlightening adventures will have boring bits in between which is where a book might come in handy.

Anyway Mrs. P likes to spend some time on the beach or round the pool, and the novelty of sniggering at some of the sights shoe horned into bikinis and speedos quickly wears off

A holiday to me is an opportunity to do jack shit without guilt for a few days - the warm sunshine, cold beers and someone else doing all the cooking are just a bonus.

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    A holiday to me is an opportunity to do jack shit without guilt for a few days - the warm sunshine, cold beers and someone else doing all the cooking are just a bonus.
    Say 'hello' to my (normal) world!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Say 'hello' to my (normal) world!

Marco.
    Hello, Marco's normal world!

Not answering - must still be in bed, lazy git

T'other system:

A/V:

Haha - at 7.27 I was. Woke up at 8.30! I don't lie in bed awake, just for the sake of it - can't do that, as it bores the tits off me. So when I'm awake, I'm up. But I'm sound asleep until at least 8am [usually having gone to bed around 11pm the previous night], as I need a good 9-10 hours of bo-bos

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Adam.

Don't really understand this business of reading books on holiday. What is the point of that? You can sit in your own house and read a book, why pay thousands of pounds and travel thousands of miles to do it, the experience is exactly the same. .
    Really? Well the last time I read a book on holiday was back in March - it was 24 degrees and sunny, I was on a lounger beside a swimming pool and the bar was about 30 feet behind me. If you can do that at home, then you must have a superb house!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    Really? Well the last time I read a book on holiday was back in March - it was 24 degrees and sunny, I was on a lounger beside a swimming pool and the bar was about 30 feet behind me. If you can do that at home, then you must have a superb house!
    Well I've got a sun lounger, I could put the electric radiator and the fan heater on at the same time to get the temperature up to standard, and I could fill the fridge with beer. The swimming pool I can't replicate, admittedly, but if you can read and swim at the same time you're a better man than me.

Maybe I don't go away enough but when I do I like to get my money's worth so I deliberately don't read whilst sat on the beach. I might watch a bit of telly in the morning on the first couple of days but only because the time difference means I'm awake at 0500 and breakfast doesn't start being served until 0730.

A couple of late nights and plenty of booze and by day 4 I'm lucky to have woken up before breakfast has finished.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Reading on holiday? Yes, I can do that sometimes, particularly if we're in a city and I'm all 'cultured out', but Del's still insistent on visiting yet *another* art gallery {sigh} lol, or some such, so I'll leave her to it and park myself at a nice/bar cafe, and happily read a book or magazine, whilst enjoying a few beers, or simply sit and 'people watch', until she's finished

Don't really 'do' beaches abroad, other than for a day visit for a couple of hours, if it's feasible. The thought of just lounging in the sun for hours on end, doing nothing but cooking oneself, fills me with horror, as indeed it would Del. We're not really 'pool people' either... Much prefer being in the countryside in the fresh air, and up some mountains! Or in towns seeing different things/local culture.

Martin, what the hell are you doing up at 5am? Sleepwalking again?

On holiday, we like to get to bed reasonably early (no later than midnight), after a nice dinner and walk, so we get a good sleep and are refreshed the next day for an early(ish) breakfast, around 8am, then we're out and about for the rest of the day. Neither of us are big drinkers though, so don't go on holiday just to get pissed....

Marco.
    Main System

I'm joe.

We watched half an episode of 'A Touch of Frost' (a programme we never watched at home) dubbed into Dutch one year. To be fair, we'd stomped all round Amsterdam all day and were cream-crackered.

Same goes for people who go gambling on holidays. What's wrong with BetFred or Ladbrokes?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 36 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast