+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: My Tannoys grew up

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJo View Post
    Excellent. Glad to hear it.
    How are yours John?

§
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Edward.

WAF OK so far.

Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    WAF OK so far.

Those stands look a little undersized!

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Edward.

It's all I have for now mate ....

But they are pretty solid nevertheless. Partingdons.

Massive difference lifting them up this amount.

I'm Grant.

Looks like your sorted Ed. Great news your happy with them
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Getting a proper job on the crossovers made sense. You've got a great set up there, something that really does justice to the music.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Edward.

I've been lax in updating this thread.

Been using the RFC enhanced crossovers in the Berkeleys and what a difference they make. Music is 'just right'. Not only did it cure the problem I had before (one channel partly down due to blown resistor) the sound has been lifted so that the everything feels very fresh, massive amounts of detail, great full range sound with huge amount of 'air' around instruments. Same quality sound regardless of what volume level is employed. Mind you with 15 inch drivers and only a medium size room not a lot of volume is needed.

Mainly used the Radford amp to drive the Tannoys but also a Trilogy 968 (new purchase ) as well as the Baldwin 405 clone. All different but all excellent.

Currently the speakers are in pieces as I work on the cabs. Spent quite some time sanding and fixing up the veneer as much as possible. Used oxalic acid sparingly (Paul at RFC warned me about possibility of veneer lifting) so took it easy. That improved much of the dark water marks and gave the cabs a much more even finish. Finished off with a good quality carnauba and beeswax down to 400 grit paper. But the cabs still show signs of age so may look to have them re-veneered (been in discussion with knipster on that). But I may just stop on the external veneer for now. TBD.

Currently removing all the internal foam to get the cabs ready for the silent coat and foam wedge recipe that RFC recommends, same recipe that mikeyb used on his Berkeleys to great effect. Removing the foam is a sticky, sweaty and nasty job. Tannoy used a good glue originally.

Need to find some gasket material for both the drivers and the crossovers when I put them back in. Any recommendations?

I'm Chris.

Surface aging? It's called 'Patina'!

Cork good for sound proofing-....and gasket.
    Chris.

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by hornucopia View Post
    Surface aging? It's called 'Patina'!

Cork good for sound proofing-....and gasket.
    Patina. Yes indeed the cabs have a lovely patina. However the remaining marks are unfortunately water marks that penetrated the finish and blackened. The oxalic acid reduced this considerably and further polishing has helped a lot. But looking for perfection! What I need to do is to sell everything and negotiate a nice price with you for your Ocellia babies.

Just remembered I have some Wilmslow Audio sealing strip from a previous project. May have enough but cheap if I need more.

I'm Edward.

Moved this project on a lot. Done the Silent Coat and installed the acoustic foam.

Did additional bracing and reinstalled crossovers, drivers etc. Will do gaskets at a later stage - was eager to hear how things sound.

Brilliant. Sound is fast, bass does not roll of so soon, everything even more precise.

pasted below are some listening notes I did. Followed by some pictures of things.

Thanks to everyone who has helped me on this, but especially a big shout out to Paul C and Micky for being so patient with my questions.

Listening notes:

immediate impression

clear open detailed sound - essentially more of the same.

but after a few minutes was evident that something vital had occurred.

transients much faster - instruments start and more importantly decay more naturally.

This is esp. true of Way Down Deep by Jennifer Warnes. Bass much much tighter. More 'punch' and like before decay much more natural - no 'tail'. Bass seems less rolled off the deeper it goes (not measured in room response).

'Right Off' track on 'A Tribute to Jack Johnson' by Miles Davis. Instruments more defined in their own space yet holding overall cohesiveness.

Still all the pin point sharpness and 'naturalness' but less speaker bound. Music gains more height and depth. This is without even placing speakers accurately and indeed without lifting them where drivers are at ear height.

Now some acoustic guitar. Michael Hedges 'Rickover's Dream'. Once again fast, precise, natural. Speakers effectively taking a back seat and letting the music flow.

Soft, ill defined, vague - no way.

Some midrange test. Andreas Scholl (countertenor) in a Gluck piece 'Orfeo er Euridice - Che Faro senza Euridice?'

Great clarity and precision. Once again attack and decay just delicious.

and on it goes ..

Before - grubby and tired.

After

Silent Coat in, before acoustic foam

Acoustic foam.

Completed speaker.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast