+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: My Tannoys grew up

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy S View Post
    Original cone surrounds?
    I don't think so.

They need rotating through 180 degrees though by the look of them. The weight of the cone has caused them to sag. If you look at the top of the surround, it's wider than the bottom.

There's no excuse for the paint to be chewed up like that, it's just hamfistedness. I've removed and reinstalled dozens of Tannoy drivers without marking the baffles.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Yes Paul at RFC uses them, he's knows his onions.
    I didn't ask who uses them. I wanted to know if they'd been tested properly. I know my onions too when it comes to Tannoys, I've owned and worked on them for over forty years.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm alan.

Cone sag ain't nice Geoff.

There is something to be said of Upward / Downward fireing drivers.
    Lest the ware is uniform.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by thingfish View Post
    Cone sag ain't nice Geoff.

There is something to be said of Upward / Downward fireing drivers.
    Lest the ware is uniform.
    I've seen those sag too. inwards or outwards depending on orientation.

I'm Edward.

Yes I think some work has been done at some point. The seller had the speakers for ca. 25 years and did not do any work on them so the work is now quite old.

Scratches all automagically gone now.

I will, when placing the drivers back in, turn them around 180°
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I don't think so.

Thought not. Mikey’s looked different before he had his replaced

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I didn't ask who uses them. I wanted to know if they'd been tested properly. I know my onions too when it comes to Tannoys, I've owned and worked on them for over forty years.
    Well why don't you ask him then??
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Geoff.

That view is typical of aged original surrounds. The small bubbles in the Tannoplas foam cone surrounds become more visible and the surround roll starts inverting or flattening. They're normally pretty sticky by this stage too.

Here's me chopping through a bad surround .

I'm frank.

I don't think it's cone sag. The HPD surrounds are (if done correctly)clamped to the frame not glued and if the clamp holes in the foam aren't lined up properly you can get dimpling in the surround edge as the clamp screws pinch slightly-easy to remedy at the reckoning/refoaming stage but once in place over time it tends to become pretty stuck.
    I've heard many significantly 'improved' Tannoys and been pretty underwhelmed every single time.
    Change the binding posts and lose the lighting flex to the crossover.
    If you are brave, re-install the HF driver after cleaning the gap/voicecoil/inside dome of diaphragm, measure, using the number and position of the paper washers and tightness/lack of of the 4 screws adjust for smoothest response/most pleasing sound, then do the same to the other one-the most significant improvement to a Tannoy DC that cost nothing but time.

I'm Geoff.

I've just rotated the drivers in mine because of slight visible sag. It happens!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast