+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: My Tannoys grew up

I'm John.

Thanks for the measurements.

I went with Mundorf Mcap (white ones) for the three bass caps and Clarity Cap ESA for the 1.5 and 4.7. The 3.3 I used Mundorf Evo oil as per Paul Coupe's (RFC) recommendation.

I've since changed them all to Mundorf Supremes (big black expensive ones) except the 3.3 which is a Supreme evo oil (black and red). I've a notion the ESA was nicer in 4.7 position. Slightly shut in but more dynamic and natural. Supremes are good in the bass though compared to the white ones. It's ongoing, I'll swap the ESAs back and keep you in the loop.

I haven't changed any resistors or inductors, yet!

I'm John.

I'm Edward.

Thanks John and also for the link. I'll have a good read.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJo View Post
    Thanks for the measurements.

I went with Mundorf Mcap (white ones) for the three bass caps and Clarity Cap ESA for the 1.5 and 4.7. The 3.3 I used Mundorf Evo oil as per Paul Coupe's (RFC) recommendation.

I've since changed them all to Mundorf Supremes (big black expensive ones) except the 3.3 which is a Supreme evo oil (black and red). I've a notion the ESA was nicer in 4.7 position. Slightly shut in but more dynamic and natural. Supremes are good in the bass though compared to the white ones. It's ongoing, I'll swap the ESAs back and keep you in the loop
    Just compared the ESA and Mundorf Supreme in the 4.7 position. The ESA is darker sounding which gives a sense of natural tonality. The Supreme is ever so slightly metallic or hifi sounding (tipped up in the treble) but is a lot more open and dynamic giving the music a sense of purpose and life. Hard to go back to the ESAs tbh.

I'm John.

Good resource here Edward. Ken is a member on AoS (Qwin) and his design work always looks excellent. These are 12" HPDs so crossover is slightly different.

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/HPD_HTML/HPD_Thumbs.html

I'm Edward.

Thanks for that John. Yes Qwin (Ken) and I had some nice exchanges when I was doing some active crossovers with a set of 3 way speakers I have. (note to self: carry on with that project!). I'll have a dig around Ken's website.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Edward.

So I am reasonably consistently getting an imbalance between the two speakers. So I tried various things changing cables, inputs etc. Imbalance, essentially lower output by about 20% on one speaker.

So I removed drivers and crossovers on both speakers (marking each as set a or b) and then swapped crossover a with crossover b. Imbalance now moved across to the other speaker meaning the drivers are fine (thank goodness) but something amiss with the crossovers. I also assume it is in the early stage of the crossover as the reduced output is on both LF and HF.

From the above is there anything obvious I can do on the mildly faulty crossover to remedy the issue?

tia

§

I'm John.

Only thing common is the -ve track I think. Corrosion of the track, bad joint(s)?

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Diameter is 7cm and length is 12cm (which includes ~0.5cm baffle thickness).

Oh you are in the midst of a recap - how handy!

Yes instrument placement precision is up there in terms of what I listen out for. Makes for a very involving and 'there' sound.

Are you just doing caps or also looking at resistors? I've not done resistors in the past.

Would love to see your parts list. I had imagined going with the ClarityCap ESA range but perhaps your choice is better?

Feel free to take it to PM if you wish.
    Didn't realise the baffles were so thin, I wonder if this adds to the classic Tannoy sound?

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    So I am reasonably consistently getting an imbalance between the two speakers. So I tried various things changing cables, inputs etc. Imbalance, essentially lower output by about 20% on one speaker.

So I removed drivers and crossovers on both speakers (marking each as set a or b) and then swapped crossover a with crossover b. Imbalance now moved across to the other speaker meaning the drivers are fine (thank goodness) but something amiss with the crossovers. I also assume it is in the early stage of the crossover as the reduced output is on both LF and HF.

From the above is there anything obvious I can do on the mildly faulty crossover to remedy the issue?

tia

§
    Do the switches move over with the crossovers? Could they both be gunky and need cleaning?

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast