+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: My Tannoys grew up

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Do the switches move over with the crossovers? Could they both be gunky and need cleaning?
    Yes the switches are pretty much an integral part of the crossovers. I've deoxed them which helped a bit but have not actually dismantled the switches.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm John.

Any joy Edward?

I'm Edward.

Well yes - kind of. Been in contact with Paul C. I'll be sending the crossovers to him which he will sort out and upgrade (new caps, copper on pcb tracks etc). He will also measure/calibrate things such that responses will be within 1%.

Given that the original crossovers are as rare as angel's poo this seems the best course of action.

Now onto the cabs .... Waiting for dry weather so I can sand the beasts in the garden.

atb
    Edward
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm John.

Good for you!

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJo View Post
    Good for you!

Well I really took the coward's route. I ought really have got stuck in with my soldering iron.

I'm Edward.

John

In a previous post I gave you the dimensions of the bass tube and also Lawrence questioned the width of the baffle board. I'm stripping things down so had another look.

The diameter is still 7cm but the length of the bass tube is more like 12 cm. This from the edge of the baffle board to the bottom of the tube. I think I mentioned 11.

The baffle board where the tube is measures 2cm in thickness, and as the glue line where the tube meets the baffle board is about 0. 75cm I guess there is some form of routing lip to hold the tube. However I can't see or feel such a lip.

The width of the baffle board where the driver sits is 4cm, the extra width being an extra layer from the top of the cabinet to about 2/3 down the cabinet.

Here is a picture of the glue line I mentioned.

§

I'm John.

Thanks Edward

I'm Edward.

While stripping down I found these badges. Magic!

I had wondered where they had gone. Now the drivers look complete.

§

I'm John.

Nice!

I'm Edward.

For those of you who want to take on a HPD385 crossover full restore here is RFC's walk through (so far) of mine being done.

The attention to detail reflecting Paul's years of experience and expertise shines through. I have no doubt the crossovers will be a massive improvement.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3
    Last edited by Edward; 12-06-2019 at 20:34.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast