+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tannoy

I'm phil.

Default Tannoy

Hi
    I’ve got an offer from a friend many miles away to buy some tannoy ascot 145s but never heard them ive heard various hpd’s are they similar or would I be better looking for a pair of these also seen on eBay SRM12X how do they fit into the line up, basically want some tannoys but no idea what to go for all advice is very much appreciated
    Regards phil
    Modded td160 super Thorens ol encounter arm hana sl cart, angle audio studio pro mc virtual battery phono amp with separate psi, Onix pre and mono amps, Onix CD player, Onix BWD and soap tuner. B&W dm2 speakers or super pencil 12 speakers, atlas cables, seperate mains power supply with earth spike.

I'm Lawrence.

The Ascots are at the bottom end of the DCs so it just depends whether you would prefer to dip your toe initially or go for a decent pair from the off. I think Ascots should be about £200 depending on condition although a recent discussion on the ebay bargains thread implied prices have risen of late.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Grant.

Would wait for something better to appear personally.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm phil.

Thanks for the info/advice see a pair of glenairs on here but as there rear ported do they need space behind them also how do the srm12x compair
    Modded td160 super Thorens ol encounter arm hana sl cart, angle audio studio pro mc virtual battery phono amp with separate psi, Onix pre and mono amps, Onix CD player, Onix BWD and soap tuner. B&W dm2 speakers or super pencil 12 speakers, atlas cables, seperate mains power supply with earth spike.

I'm Geoff.

I've had loads of Tannoy dual concentrics. The Ascots are better than some might think, they certainly have the 'pepperpot' magic. They are actually quite similar tonally to the SRM 12, as they use the same mid/treble unit. I still own a pair by the way.

Like all Tannoys, they have been going up in value (asking price). £200 was what you might have paid three or four years ago, but now around £400 is likely to be realistic. Anybody asking more is a chancer though.

As ever, buying Tannoys is all about budget, but if you can locate Ascots at a sensible price, I'd say go for it.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm phil.

If I was looking for speakers as a keeper where would you suggest starting in the line up, I’m thinking Cheviots,

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by moodybuilder View Post
    If I was looking for speakers as a keeper where would you suggest starting in the line up, I’m thinking Cheviots,
    Depends on budget and how much space you have, some Tannoys are BIG!

Are you sure you even like the Tannoy sound? If you've not heard any, getting a listen would be sensible.

As an intro to Tannoys, the Ascots are fine by the way and a cheap pair well worth grabbing. They are punchy and full bodied with the proper Tannoy signature mid and top. They'd be easy to move on too, should the upgrade bug strike.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm phil.

Yes I’ve heard the Cheviots and the Stirling’s also the grey 8s forgot there name, loved them all,

+ Reply to Thread