Closed Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Advertisement non compliant with current AOS selling rules, No price listed and photo

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    'Careful man, there's a beverage here!'
    Bit early in the morning for a Stella

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Simon.

As so may people appear to have problems achieving what is a very simple task, I'd thought I'd add my brief guide on how to do it using a free service. It's not all step by step, but more of an explanation as to the concept. It's a similar process whatever hosting service you use.

To those that say it's too difficult; well, come on, really? We all use PCs and the like in our daily jobs/activities and we should all have at least a basic understanding of what's going on. If not, get yourself down to a local basic computer course; loads around and an essential ability for 21st century living, IMO. Rant over, let's get on with it.

Firstly, to answer the question as to why can't I just attach an image to a post? If that were to be allowed, it means that there would be uploads to the server that AOS uses. These uploads would be large files. Picture files are much, much larger than pure text. If the server has to process and 'serve' these files then additional 'bandwidth' is needed. Plus the amount of hard disk storage space required is vastly increased. Both of these things cost a deal of money. This forum isn't exactly a serious profit centre, so who would pay for that? Plus, why pay for that when you can achieve the same result for zero additional cost to Marco.

That method is to upload your pictures to a 'host' service. That is a service that is dedicated to storing images and then disseminating those images elsewhere. This sharing is done by a special code. This code tells a browser where to look for a specific file. There are different codes for different methods of sharing.

I use postimage.org. Others are available. With postimage on the home page there is a central choice using drop down menus. Create an account.

In the top right of the home page is a 'My Images' link. Click on that.

On the next page there is, at the top, a field to enter the name of your new gallery (Naim, amp, whatever)

Enter your chosen gallery name and click on 'create a new gallery'

In the resizing drop down choose 640x480 (for message boards).

Then choose how long you want the images to be available in the drop down menu below above.

Then click on 'choose images'

Select where you have the image (it's easiest if you have the image on the computer you are using to upload)

You can select multiple images using the method that you would normally use to select multiple files.

Images are now uploaded.

Now you need the code to share those images.

There are a few ways to do the next bit, but the easiest is to click on 'My Images' again and select the gallery you have just created.

When you do that you will see a button above your images which says 'share'. Click on that.

You will then see a line of text which says "codes for all images". Click on the drop down menu adjacent to that. Select 'hotlink for forums', NOT any of the other options.

In the next adjacent drop down select "one column"

There is a further adjacent button. Click on that. This automatically copies the correct link to your clipboard.

Go to your post and 'paste' that link.

Job done.

Pat on back at another of life's small challenges met.

The above sounds complicated but it is really simple. Do it a few times and you'll wonder why on earth you couldn't crack it years ago.

HTH.
    Lindemann Network Bridge > McIntosh MHA150 > Shahinian Larc speakers

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by simon g View Post
    As so may people appear to have problems achieving what is a very simple task, I'd thought I'd add my brief guide on how to do it using a free service. It's not all step by step, but more of an explanation as to the concept. It's a similar process whatever hosting service you use.

To those that say it's too difficult; well, come on, really? We all use PCs and the like in our daily jobs/activities and we should all have at least a basic understanding of what's going on. If not, get yourself down to a local basic computer course; loads around and an essential ability for 21st century living, IMO. Rant over, let's get on with it.

Firstly, to answer the question as to why can't I just attach an image to a post? If that were to be allowed, it means that there would be uploads to the server that AOS uses. These uploads would be large files. Picture files are much, much larger than pure text. If the server has to process and 'serve' these files then additional 'bandwidth' is needed. Plus the amount of hard disk storage space required is vastly increased. Both of these things cost a deal of money. This forum isn't exactly a serious profit centre, so who would pay for that? Plus, why pay for that when you can achieve the same result for zero additional cost to Marco.

That method is to upload your pictures to a 'host' service. That is a service that is dedicated to storing images and then disseminating those images elsewhere. This sharing is done by a special code. This code tells a browser where to look for a specific file. There are different codes for different methods of sharing.

I use postimage.org. Others are available. With postimage on the home page there is a central choice using drop down menus. Create an account.

In the top right of the home page is a 'My Images' link. Click on that.

On the next page there is, at the top, a field to enter the name of your new gallery (Naim, amp, whatever)

Enter your chosen gallery name and click on 'create a new gallery'

In the resizing drop down choose 640x480 (for message boards).

Then choose how long you want the images to be available in the drop down menu below above.

Then click on 'choose images'

Select where you have the image (it's easiest if you have the image on the computer you are using to upload)

You can select multiple images using the method that you would normally use to select multiple files.

Images are now uploaded.

Now you need the code to share those images.

There are a few ways to do the next bit, but the easiest is to click on 'My Images' again and select the gallery you have just created.

When you do that you will see a button above your images which says 'share'. Click on that.

You will then see a line of text which says "codes for all images". Click on the drop down menu adjacent to that. Select 'hotlink for forums', NOT any of the other options.

In the next adjacent drop down select "one column"

There is a further adjacent button. Click on that. This automatically copies the correct link to your clipboard.

Go to your post and 'paste' that link.

Job done.

Pat on back at another of life's small challenges met.

The above sounds complicated but it is really simple. Do it a few times and you'll wonder why on earth you couldn't crack it years ago.

HTH.
    Aye simple right enough

This is why I use Tapatalk

And YES I do know your method too and use Smugmug for my photos, but Tapatalk is soooooo much easier

I'm brian.

How does tapatalk work Mike ?. Might be useful for illiterates like me. Just as easy to google I suppose

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by tapid View Post
    How does tapatalk work Mike ?. Might be useful for illiterates like me. Just as easy to google I suppose
    It's an App on Android and iOS that you can use to link to many forums including this one. Takes a few seconds to add a photo using it, but it's also MUCH easier to browse the forums.

I'm Mike.

Here you go, how quick was this..

I'm Mike.

And that included the time to take the screenshots

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Good stuff, guys. All useful info, and as Simon says, it's really much ado about nothing

The important message, however, is that if you are struggling with the process of posting pictures, then ASK FOR HELP, as there will always be someone on hand to do so!

Just giving up, or being too lazy to even ask, or worse, posting an ad with either no pictures or unsuitable ones, is only going to have one outcome.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm brian.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    And that included the time to take the screenshots
    Many thanks.

I'm Dennis.

I accept fully the point about the elderly, but wish to make some points from my stance, and have a little rant.

I am not stupid, and have had a 55 year in telecoms and electronics, and have not lost the ability to learn, but my last formal education was in '87.

When one retires, the source of incoming information is vastly reduced, and much of it amounts to hearsay, this often expressed rather poorly and even incomprehensibly.

So one is often in a sea of self appointed 'experts', many with no foundation in the fast changing technology, but brimming with self confidence now that PC has told us we are all equally valid, and from my own experience are often rather inept even at logic and scientific method, my finding frequently that I am more able than they in a given problematic situation.

But what they do have is current, or at least recent, familiarity with things because they are doing it all the time, whereas I am only involved when something is wrong or needs attention, my purpose being to use the technology for my life aims, not to be swamped in its infinite architectures, virtual block schematics, and concepts expressed within its own language.
    I am then often treated as though I'm a numpty by them.

The intrinsic and increasing complexity of ICT is obvious, and if you love it then fine, but to me it is a tool, much like my kitchen knife, about which I do not want to know the metal alloys of the blade, the age of the wooden handle or its source, or the glue used to affix the two.

The lack of ability to express clearly and succinctly a working set of instructions is apparent and ubiquitous, as is the decline in quality of the English language; remember the laughed at Japanese instructions appearing in the 70s.
    (Well now it's got a whole bunch worse don't it).

This applies very often with those who come to my home and chat; I feel like Alan Turing in trying to decipher the Enigma, to understand what may people are saying, they often mumbling and with a hand passing over their mouths.
    I call ,one of them a 'Join the dots puzzle', but with only one dot.

This, my supposed decline of our language, is also very apparent on media, and even on R4 our supposed reference of intelligibility and intellectual accuracy.

In addition, the technology, with its high youth-geek I/P, has evolved its own language and culture.
    Until last week I had never heard of "Pwning", but now see and realise to some extent the degree to which this is going on.

Try googling "Have I been pwned" and see if you have.
    Last edited by Pharos; 01-06-2019 at 10:52.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast