+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cut my Sky cable - can I fix it?

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Self amalgamating tape can be bought from Halfords.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm David.

Get an external waterproof junction box and put the cable in that. Will protect it from the water etc.

I'm Grant.

think what youve done is fine steve. if its working then it should continue that way, as iys protected from weather and sun anyway.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - IFI PURIFIER 2/PATHOS CLASSIC REMIX & HIDAC AMPLIFIER - LEAF HD BLUETOOTH - NURAPHONE' HEADPHONES - 2*ZBOOK'- ROON - MULTI HDD'S - DIGIONE RPI3 - EDINGDALE MK1 SPEAKERS - CABLE INC SUPRA, FISUAL, MOGAMI,

**I’ve studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through**
    "An old man sleeps with his conscience at night, while young kids sleep with their dreams"

"Justice is sinking to the bottom of the sea, And it feels like I'm living in the wasteland of the free"
    Give me absolute control
    Over every living soul, I've seen the future, baby,
    It is murder!
    ***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Yes, but is the signal going to be fully optimised, as it was before?

If not, it will affect signal transmission, and ultimately picture and/or sound quality. That 'what if?' factor would do my head in, unless there was a way of testing for it, using appropriate criteria and apparatus, thus confirming that all is *exactly* as it should be.

Marco [hates bodges, or simply 'making do' - it's either right or it's not].
    "Count your age by friends, not years. Count your life by smiles, not tears” - John Lennon.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Yes, but is the signal going to be fully optimised, as it was before?

If not, it will affect signal transmission, and ultimately picture and/or sound quality. That 'what if?' factor would do my head in, unless there was a way of testing for it, using appropriate criteria and apparatus, thus confirming that all is *exactly* as it should be.

Marco [hates bodges, or simply 'making do' - it's either right or it's not].
    might lose a bit, but maybe not enough to be obvious until weather turns bad. time will tell but at least the mrs is getting her progs and steve is out of dog house
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ

OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - IFI PURIFIER 2/PATHOS CLASSIC REMIX & HIDAC AMPLIFIER - LEAF HD BLUETOOTH - NURAPHONE' HEADPHONES - 2*ZBOOK'- ROON - MULTI HDD'S - DIGIONE RPI3 - EDINGDALE MK1 SPEAKERS - CABLE INC SUPRA, FISUAL, MOGAMI,

**I’ve studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through**
    "An old man sleeps with his conscience at night, while young kids sleep with their dreams"

"Justice is sinking to the bottom of the sea, And it feels like I'm living in the wasteland of the free"
    Give me absolute control
    It is murder!
    ***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Phil.

If you do go with couplers, heatshrink will still suffer from ingress of water. Useless for outside use in my opinion. If you can get hold of denso tape you are laughing. I've never seen a coupling fail using that as a dealer, in any weather.

Don't get it on your clothes!

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    might lose a bit, but maybe not enough to be obvious until weather turns bad. time will tell but at least the mrs is getting her progs and steve is out of dog house
    Sure, but why not just call a Sky Engineer out, and get the job done properly? Losing signal quality with any kind of bodged job would for me be an unacceptable compromise. Anyway, regardless, I hope he get the issue fixed to his satisfaction ASAP!

Marco.
    "Count your age by friends, not years. Count your life by smiles, not tears” - John Lennon.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix.

I'm Grant.

£65 call out fee for starters at a guess. Might not be much to you but it is to many if you can fix it for a fiver. Also there is a wait
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ

Give me absolute control
    It is murder!
    ***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Ok, then if it were me, I'd fix it the best I could, so as not to miss out on viewing time, then I'd call a professional out to do the job properly.

For me, it's only a valid 'fix' for a fiver, if it results in as good a job as a professional would do [with zero signal degradation], and of course that would include any competent TV/Satellite installation company.

The daftee shouldn't have let the ivy get so overgrown in the first place, or worn his glasses to see what he was cutting!

Marco.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Here's a radical thought... Phone Sky, tell them what happened, and ask them to send an engineer out. That's what I'd be doing

No way would I be up ladders, fannying about with cables, as unless you know what you're doing, any 'fix' will just be a bodge!

Marco.
    I have two jars, one labelled 'things I want', and the other is 'things I need'. Jar two is empty since I bought new tyres for the van, so I would have to raid jar one to pay the Sky bloke. Then I would have no cash for that outfit you insisted I buy for your next "party".

So it's not a matter of me being tight and bodging to save a few quid, It's your fault for having such an unreasonable dress code

And as with a lot of things, you don't 'know' what you're doing till you do it. Also I have no fear of ladders, climbing is one of my few talents
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon 2M Black. Phono: Yaqin MS-22B CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Headphone/pre: Myryad Z40; Amp: Audion Silver Night 300b stereo
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini-1, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast