+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Cut my Sky cable - can I fix it?

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
    Get an external waterproof junction box and put the cable in that. Will protect it from the water etc.
    That is effectively what the gel-filled plastic capsule is, that now houses the connected cable.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Yes, but is the signal going to be fully optimised, as it was before?

If not, it will affect signal transmission, and ultimately picture and/or sound quality. That 'what if?' factor would do my head in, unless there was a way of testing for it, using appropriate criteria and apparatus, thus confirming that all is *exactly* as it should be.

Marco [hates bodges, or simply 'making do' - it's either right or it's not].
    I did test the results, using appropriate apparatus (my eyes and ears), and as I can detect no degradation, it IS exactly as it should be

I'm bracing myself for an education now, when I say surely with this you either have your signal or you don't. when you plug your telly into the wall socket, does the plug not degrade the picture/sound? With all the electrical and signal connections in your hi fi chain, is it not a miracle that you get any music at all? And I have no reason to believe that the connector's materials are inferior to the cable that Sky use.

Btw the ivy isn't really ivy, it's called clematis or something, and it's just gone mental this last few weeks.

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Green View Post
    If you do go with couplers, heatshrink will still suffer from ingress of water. Useless for outside use in my opinion. If you can get hold of denso tape you are laughing. I've never seen a coupling fail using that as a dealer, in any weather.

Don't get it on your clothes!
    Absolutely. I did once use denso tape, and it does look nasty, like a bandage soaked in dog shit and glue. And I did underestimate its ability to ruin any clothes it touches. Effective gear though, as you say.

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm Dominic.

I recently had to make a repair to the gable end where the TV aerial and SKY satellite dish are mounted. The TV aerial wasn't too difficult to sort out, but I sure as heck wasn't going to pay SKY around £70 to realign the dish after the wall repair. There is a built-in signal strength meter in the HD box software anyway to make small adjustments to dish alignment.

I decided to take out the 2 bolts that held the dish onto the wall then put 4 new bolts into the correct corner mounting holes and signal strength actually increased when I had finished, even though it was a bastard of a job drilling the holes with the brackets and dish in the way.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this or not, but the cable(s) also carry 12 volts DC out to the LNB(s) to power them as well as the inbound satellite signals.
    CD player = Marantz CD6006
    DAC/pre = Rotel RC 1572
    Power amp = ADA PF201
    Speaks = Quadral Chromium Style 6

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    Temporary fix to save imminent death, couplers

Gary
    Death from a coaxial sat cable hahahahaha
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    Death from a coaxial sat cable hahahahaha
    Sorry I misled you, my intention was "to avoid imminent death from wife, use couplers".

Glad you found it humerous.

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234