+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: FR64 FX arm - your thoughts on this dilemma

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    That is my fear, don't want to mess with the originallity of the FR in case I do sell it.
    Can you buy another arm on the strength of being able to sell the FR64?

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I tend to immerse the paddle. Try that and see if the bass livens up.
    I've plenty bass, just a tad thicker than with the FR arm will more fluid tighten the bass or just give me more you think?

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Can you buy another arm on the strength of being able to sell the FR64?
    Def, it's worth a decent sum these days, one or two on eBay ranging from 1300-2000 ( unrealistic I know, mine would be sold at less ) mind you I might just mothball and sell in a few years time

I'm David.

Hello Mike

I have a silver wired FR64fx which I'm using as my main arm at the moment with AudioNote Io and Decca C4E cartridges. I don't have any problems with edge/glare in the high's, even with the Decca, however I don't use the original tonearm cable which didn't sound too good (probably shouldn't say that as they seem to fetch reasonable money!). Instead I use a Yannis Tome 423.5 silver cable (http://www.back-promo.co.uk/html/423_5phono_litz.html) which I think sounds great. If you decide to stay with the FR64fx I'd therefore suggest trying a different cable from the arm to the phono stage first before thinking about rewiring it.

One thought though, this is a reasonably heavy arm, are you sure it is a good match to your cartridges? It may be that is the problem? The Mission 774 is also a good arm and probably better suited to modern MM's so perhaps the best solution is to get that mounted properly?

David Whistance

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by dwhistance View Post
    Hello Mike

I have a silver wired FR64fx which I'm using as my main arm at the moment with AudioNote Io and Decca C4E cartridges. I don't have any problems with edge/glare in the high's, even with the Decca, however I don't use the original tonearm cable which didn't sound too good (probably shouldn't say that as they seem to fetch reasonable money!). Instead I use a Yannis Tome 423.5 silver cable (http://www.back-promo.co.uk/html/423_5phono_litz.html) which I think sounds great. If you decide to stay with the FR64fx I'd therefore suggest trying a different cable from the arm to the phono stage first before thinking about rewiring it.

One thought though, this is a reasonably heavy arm, are you sure it is a good match to your cartridges? It may be that is the problem? The Mission 774 is also a good arm and probably better suited to modern MM's so perhaps the best solution is to get that mounted properly?

David Whistance
    Interesting, it's definitely the route I was going to try first, I'm using an Ortofon Kontrapunkt B at the moment but also have Shure m55 with Jico stylus and an ADC XLM III.

I have also had a Zyx r100 on it too all pretty much with the same result so that's why I think the wiring is my problem. I think I even had my Decca Gold on it at one time too.

I know Ali uses/used Yannis cabling on his and I've looked at those many times but was reluctant to spend cash in case it was pointless, another thing that put me off was not knowing what connector to go for? But now that I've dismantled the FR that'll be easy to find out.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Agree the Yannis is a very good cable, not silly money either. Worth a go Mike.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

Bigman80 Guest

Def, it's worth a decent sum these days, one or two on eBay ranging from 1300-2000 ( unrealistic I know, mine would be sold at less ) mind you I might just mothball and sell in a few years time
    That's my advice then.speak to Angus, he may loan you one if he has one. If you don't fancy the PMAT1010, I dont know what other arm I'd suggest that could be as good for the money.

I could loan you mine but I haven't got any spare arms lol

I'm Mike.

That's my advice then.speak to Angus, he may loan you one if he has one. If you don't fancy the PMAT1010, I dont know what other arm I'd suggest that could be as good for the money.

I could loan you mine but I haven't got any spare arms lol
    I was in touch with Angus a wee while back and we both thought they 1010 'might' fit ok taking into account the height of my platter and mat.

Tell you what, listening just now to maybe my 5th or 6th LP since fitting the 774 yesterday and the bass is there, a little thicker, the treble is there with no glare, I think it's just the mid-range that seems slightly lacking at the moment, I'll give it a lot more time before I move on anything as regards the 774 until I think it's had enough hours on the cabling to finally decide if it's staying on.

The FR can stay in the box in the meantime

Bigman80 Guest

I was in touch with Angus a wee while back and we both thought they 1010 'might' fit ok taking into account the height of my platter and mat.

Tell you what, listening just now to maybe my 5th or 6th LP since fitting the 774 yesterday and the bass is there, a little thicker, the treble is there with no glare, I think it's just the mid-range that seems slightly lacking at the moment, I'll give it a lot more time before I move on anything as regards the 774 until I think it's had enough hours on the cabling to finally decide if it's staying on.

The FR can stay in the box in the meantime
    It'll come on song, trust me.

If you need a tonearm cable for the FR64, let me know.

I'm Mike.

It'll come on song, trust me.

If you need a tonearm cable for the FR64, let me know.
    Will do

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast