+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: FR64 FX arm - your thoughts on this dilemma

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jeromesabbagh View Post
    Hi,

I am considering trying to buy an FR-64fx to use with a Mijayima mono cartridge. The cartridge seems to want 3.5g VTF. The range of VTF on the FR-64fx seems to only go to 3g. Is there a way to get higher tracking force on the FR-64fx, given that is is dynamically balanced? I'm a bit confused ... Thanks!
    Get an electronic scale, and use a combination of the counterweight and dynamic force from the adjuster to give you the 3.5-4g needed (I run mine at 4g). It's not an issue at all. Make sure the overall mass though is sufficient, the Miyajima monos like a high-mass arm so you want to be using a heavy headshell, and a heavy counterweight to balance it all.

Coming late to this thread, FWIW, the FR64x is a superb arm that like the older FR64S can benefit from a rewire. These started to be made in the 80s so the oldest of them could be 30-odd years old. I would recommend sending this to Angus for a bearing fettle (or replacement if they can't be adjusted to spec) and a rewire. Mal-adjusted bearings can give audible effects. BTW there was a Yannis cable for sale briefly the other day either here or on PFM, it went fast but I could also recommend Hugo's new cables the copper one here could well do the trick and not expensive in the grand scheme of things. https://ammonite-audio.co.uk/product...tonearm-cable/ I'm running the silver one at the moment with the Ikeda arm.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Get an electronic scale, and use a combination of the counterweight and dynamic force from the adjuster to give you the 3.5-4g needed (I run mine at 4g). It's not an issue at all. Make sure the overall mass though is sufficient, the Miyajima monos like a high-mass arm so you want to be using a heavy headshell, and a heavy counterweight to balance it all.

Coming late to this thread, FWIW, the FR64x is a superb arm that like the older FR64S can benefit from a rewire. These started to be made in the 80s so the oldest of them could be 30-odd years old. I would recommend sending this to Angus for a bearing fettle (or replacement if they can't be adjusted to spec) and a rewire. Mal-adjusted bearings can give audible effects. BTW there was a Yannis cable for sale briefly the other day either here or on PFM, it went fast but I could also recommend Hugo's new cables the copper one here could well do the trick and not expensive in the grand scheme of things. https://ammonite-audio.co.uk/product...tonearm-cable/ I'm running the silver one at the moment with the Ikeda arm.
    Thanks Tom for the info, I saw that Yannis cable but was wary of silver as I'm sure that's not good to my ears.

I've looked at Hugo's cables before and thought they were a good buy, in fact I think I saw you mention them a wee while ago.

Changing to the Denon 103R is suiting me better than the Kontrapunkt B, I'm up to 30+ hours on it and is sounds great.

I'm Jerome.

@montesquieu: Thanks a lot! I will see if I can get a FR-64fx

Not to derail this thread, but I think you used a Miyajima Zero on an Audio Technica ATP-12T. What do you think of that combination? Do you think the ATP-12T compares to the FR-64fx? It seems the ATP-12T can still be had for pretty cheap and I was considering that option as well, since cost and cost effectiveness is an issue for me. ATP-12T seems to be 21g, while the FR-64fx is 20g. I was also considering the FR-24 Mk II (17g), which is also more cost effective.

Any advice from people who have tried these arms with a Miyajima mono cartridge or comparable would be very appreciated.

I am also curious as to differences between the Miyajima Spirit and the Miyajima Zero. Thanks!

Best,

Jerome

montesquieu Guest

@montesquieu: Thanks a lot! I will see if I can get a FR-64fx

Not to derail this thread, but I think you used a Miyajima Zero on an Audio Technica ATP-12T. What do you think of that combination? Do you think the ATP-12T compares to the FR-64fx? It seems the ATP-12T can still be had for pretty cheap and I was considering that option as well, since cost and cost effectiveness is an issue for me. ATP-12T seems to be 21g, while the FR-64fx is 20g. I was also considering the FR-24 Mk II (17g), which is also more cost effective.

Any advice from people who have tried these arms with a Miyajima mono cartridge or comparable would be very appreciated.

I am also curious as to differences between the Miyajima Spirit and the Miyajima Zero. Thanks!

Best,

Jerome

Yes I rate the ATP-12T (and its near identical 'professional counterpart, the AT1503) very highly, in fact for my kind of lower compliance cartridges I very much prefer them over arms that seemingly have more features such as the AT1010 (I had one of these on my Garrard 401 before swapping it out for the AT1503). Bear in mind they are more like a nine and a half or 10 inch arm rather than a standard 9 inch and you may struggle to fit them on some plinths.

In standard form while very musical they can be a shade unrefined but Angus (Phonomac here) fettled mine with new hybrid ceramic bearings, a quality rewire, and damping in the arm tube which resulted in an arm that is a really high performer. Some may be concerned about the lack of bias adjustment but run at 4g as it typically is for SPUs or mono Miyajimas, this issue isn't one to be concerned about. (As you can see I have Zero Mono 0.7, 1.0 and Edison/Kotetu 78 Miyajima monos, and Miyajima Madake and Takumi stereo cartridges in my stable). All run in cartridge + headshell assemblies of around 30g (SPU weight).

Properly fettled this is a giant killer of an arm. Mine was the AT1503 Mk1 which is the arm developed in conjunction with Technics for broadcast motor unit SP10, and many early SP10 rigs with original plinth also have this arm as standard. It's still in production as the Mk4 (I think) - along with the AT1010 there has been some debate as to whether it was built for AT by Audiocraft, I'm not sure if that question has ever been satisfactorily resolved. (I'm no expert in AT production history!).

I'm Jerome.

Default Thanks!

Yes I rate the ATP-12T (and its near identical 'professional counterpart, the AT1503) very highly, in fact for my kind of lower compliance cartridges I very much prefer them over arms that seemingly have more features such as the AT1010 (I had one of these on my Garrard 401 before swapping it out for the AT1503). Bear in mind they are more like a nine and a half or 10 inch arm rather than a standard 9 inch and you may struggle to fit them on some plinths.

In standard form while very musical they can be a shade unrefined but Angus (Phonomac here) fettled mine with new hybrid ceramic bearings, a quality rewire, and damping in the arm tube which resulted in an arm that is a really high performer. Some may be concerned about the lack of bias adjustment but run at 4g as it typically is for SPUs or mono Miyajimas, this issue isn't one to be concerned about. (As you can see I have Zero Mono 0.7, 1.0 and Edison/Kotetu 78 Miyajima monos, and Miyajima Madake and Takumi stereo cartridges in my stable). All run in cartridge + headshell assemblies of around 30g (SPU weight).

Properly fettled this is a giant killer of an arm. Mine was the AT1503 Mk1 which is the arm developed in conjunction with Technics for broadcast motor unit SP10, and many early SP10 rigs with original plinth also have this arm as standard. It's still in production as the Mk4 (I think) - along with the AT1010 there has been some debate as to whether it was built for AT by Audiocraft, I'm not sure if that question has ever been satisfactorily resolved. (I'm no expert in AT production history!).
    Thanks! This is very useful! Hesitating between the ATP-12T and the FR-24 MK II at this point ...

montesquieu Guest

Thanks! This is very useful! Hesitating between the ATP-12T and the FR-24 MK II at this point ...
    For different cartridges ... my preference would be ATP-12T but it would depend what you were using it with.
    Last edited by montesquieu; 01-07-2019 at 13:28.

I'm Jerome.

For different cartridges ... my preference would be ATP-12T but it would depend what you were using it with.
    Thinking about Miyajima Spirit high output or Miyajima Zero if I can afford it ... Definitely a mono setup mostly, although I might change cartridges once in a while.

montesquieu Guest

Thinking about Miyajima Spirit high output or Miyajima Zero if I can afford it ... Definitely a mono setup mostly, although I might change cartridges once in a while.
    Zero is perfect for the ATP12T .. Adam (Westlower here) is using exactly that setup.

I'm Adam.

Zero is perfect for the ATP12T .. Adam (Westlower here) is using exactly that setup.
    Indeed, that arm works a treat on the Miyajima Zero mono cartridge.
    Really is a good combination
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Jerome.

Default Thank you!

Thank you!

Did anyone try the FR-24 Mk II by any chance?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast