+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: FR64 FX arm - your thoughts on this dilemma

I'm David.

I haven't owned a Kontrapunkt B but I do have an A somewhere which doesn't work well on the FR64fx, it was much better on my Graham 2.2 though not a cartridge I liked very much. I think that the FR64fx is also too heavy for the two MM's and indeed the ZYX. It should have worked well with the Decca though, provided you had a nice heavy headshell.

If you want to try my tonearm cable to rule that out as a problem I'll happily lend it to you for a few days next week - it's probably time I had a listen to the Graham again!

I'm Hugo.

My FR-64S was serviced and re-wired by Angus using hybrid ceramic bearings and silver wires, and it sounds rather better for it, at a very reasonable cost! So, that's another option for the FR-64FX.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by dwhistance View Post
    I haven't owned a Kontrapunkt B but I do have an A somewhere which doesn't work well on the FR64fx, it was much better on my Graham 2.2 though not a cartridge I liked very much. I think that the FR64fx is also too heavy for the two MM's and indeed the ZYX. It should have worked well with the Decca though, provided you had a nice heavy headshell.

If you want to try my tonearm cable to rule that out as a problem I'll happily lend it to you for a few days next week - it's probably time I had a listen to the Graham again!
    I have the Fidelity Research rs121 headshell and I've also used an Orsonic 101 too.

I might take you up on your generous offer of the loan of the cable, I'll give this 774 plenty listening other the next 2 or 3 days and get back to you
    Last edited by mikeyb; 30-05-2019 at 16:27.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post
    My FR-64S was serviced and re-wired by Angus using hybrid ceramic bearings and silver wires, and it sounds rather better for it, at a very reasonable cost! So, that's another option for the FR-64FX.
    Something I'll definitely keep in mind and easy done now that the arm is already off the deck.

I'm David.

I use an Orsonic 101 with my Decca C4E and another with the Io. I like them much better than the FR RS121 which I got with my arm in 2003. I think either would need to be weighted down a bit for a Decca Gold which might work better in one of the even heavier FR headshells (FR3?). I think you need a much lighter headshell for your cartridges on the FR64fx and even then I still think the Mission 774 is probably a better match with them. Just send me a PM if you want to borrow the cable.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by dwhistance View Post
    I use an Orsonic 101 with my Decca C4E and another with the Io. I like them much better than the FR RS121 which I got with my arm in 2003. I think either would need to be weighted down a bit for a Decca Gold which might work better in one of the even heavier FR headshells (FR3?). I think you need a much lighter headshell for your cartridges on the FR64fx and even then I still think the Mission 774 is probably a better match with them. Just send me a PM if you want to borrow the cable.
    Thanks again for the extra info, very interesting, I'm tweaking the 774 setup just now trying out Uni-Din instead of Loefgren B but because of the fixed head on the 774 I can't line the cartridge up correctly so I'll need to revert back to Loefgren B.

Thanks again for the offer of the cable I'll message you if I need to borrow it.

I'm Howard.

This site might be a source of info from FR64 FX owners. https://www.facebook.com/groups/581515375550854/
    Well, hello.

I'm Simon.

I have an FR65fx with an AN IO 1 and it definitely isn't edgy, however I am not using the original FR cable from the arm to the SUT, I am using Audio Note QSSC cable.

I also found an Orsonic AV-101B was better than the FR RS-121 headshell that came with the arm.

It is possible that a rewire and service could improve the arm, however I would start with the cable from the arm to SUT/phono stage.
    SJS Arcadia Line Level Pre-amplifiers, Headphone amps, MM Phono Stages and SET Power amps - service, repairs, upgrades.
    Designed and hand-built in England.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by sjs View Post
    I have an FR65fx with an AN IO 1 and it definitely isn't edgy, however I am not using the original FR cable from the arm to the SUT, I am using Audio Note QSSC cable.

I also found an Orsonic AV-101B was better than the FR RS-121 headshell that came with the arm.

It is possible that a rewire and service could improve the arm, however I would start with the cable from the arm to SUT/phono stage.
    Thanks, I'm pretty sure that is the issue, the 774 is sounding good just now but I know what I'm missing about the FR so I think I'll try the RCA lead first and take it from there.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Increase the fluid damping on the 774 with a larger paddle or thicker silicone fluid, the bass will improve.

The 774 benefits from a high quality rewire. The cable out to the phono stage can be improved on too. The mid and top will benefit.
    NOOOOOO!!!! It's my experience when setting these things up for a living that too much effing damping KILLS this arm, slugging the bass and making the whole thing tuneless - tried on several decks when this arm was new! Lord I set up enough of these damned things and acted as tonearm bearing quality control in the early days as we sold so many, a sizeable number from each batch we had delivered had to be returned due to notchy or sticky bearings - it's a shit rough tat of a thing yet you peeps wank yourselves silly over them today and get all manner of high prices for them when passing them round the community

Seriously, my suggestion for damping on a 774 is the smallest paddle just scraping the surface of the fluid. I like my vinyl musical dynamics free and unfettered you see, not smothered and overly controlled.

YMMV of course today

Other crap to consider - What's yer cartridge wired with? Usually copper and not always PCOCC either! Loading can revive or kill some cartridges too as can low overload margins in some foo phono stages. Are you sure it's the arm - what's your digital like? If this latter isn't right either, then I suspect it's something else in the system myself.

My own experience is that pure silver wires can be very good, but silver plated wires can be scratchy sounding and not pleasant with more assertive equipment...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast