+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tonearm for SPUs

I'm Evan.

Default Tonearm for SPUs

My first post, so be gentle. I currently run my SPU Silver Meister, 85th Anniversary and Century on an Ortofon 309d. I've been happy with the arm, but have wondered if it is truly capable of maximizing the performance of my SPUs. I am seeking opinions (hopefully based on first hand knowledge) on whether there are other tonearms that will provide superior sound quality, either new or used. The arm will be mounted on a Garrard 301 in an Artisan Fidelity plinth. Thanks in advance for your consideration.

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by Walnut Horns View Post
    My first post, so be gentle. I currently run my SPU Silver Meister, 85th Anniversary and Century on an Ortofon 309d. I've been happy with the arm, but have wondered if it is truly capable of maximizing the performance of my SPUs. I am seeking opinions (hopefully based on first hand knowledge) on whether there are other tonearms that will provide superior sound quality, either new or used. The arm will be mounted on a Garrard 301 in an Artisan Fidelity plinth. Thanks in advance for your consideration.
    You have a really nice arm there are to get anything genuinely better, I reckon you’d have to look to the likes of Ikeda, Glanz etc, which are considerably more expensive. Anything else would just be a sideways move.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I run my SPUs in an Ikeda-modified Ortofon 309, the 309i. Prior to that I used an SME M2-12R or a 3012/II. I believe it can often be best to use an arm manufactured by the cartridge manufacturer (or manufactured by someone else to the cartridge maker's specification).

If you do want to change your arm, make sure it is one that uses a sliding bedplate to adjust overhang, since SPUs are integrated headshell cartridges, you won't be able to make any adjustments at the headshell end. That is a good reason to stick with your Ortofon 309D; it was designed to provide the correct overhang with SPUs. It's a very good arm.
    Barry

I'm Josie.

I USE the SME 3009 S2 non improved. Sounds great with my SPU.

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Lee.

If I were you mate I would look at a secondhand FR64s, you can get these for around £1200 and they work well with SPU carts
    Vinyl rig 1 - NAS Spacedeck / FR64s / Lab 12 Melto / Denon SUT / Ortofon GM SPU. Vinyl rig 2 Mono Set Up - Lenco GL75 c/w Jelco 750D / AT33 Mono / EAR 834P Modded. Amplifiers - Audio Note Empress Silver / Hattor Passive Pre. Digital - Fanless Mini PC / Lampizator TRP / Linear PSU / Hummingboard Network audio adaptor. Speakers - Horns.pl Mummy's. Cables are Audio Note / Albedo / Furutech Speaker wire. Power conditioner is a Gigawatt PC2 EVO

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Henley View Post
    If I were you mate I would look at a secondhand FR64s, you can get these for around £1200 and they work well with SPU carts
    True, that!

I'm Evan.

Thank you for the responses thus far. I’m not interested in incremental improvements at this stage, so if the Glanz, Ikeda or Fidelity Research arms offer obvious and meaningful improvements over the Ortofon, I’d be interested in learning more about them, including how/why you believe they sound better. Thanks.

I'm Nari.

Welcome and nice first post, I own and have owned the Ortofon, Glanz, Ikeda and the Fr64 and 66. The ikeda is a fantastic arm I have had problems over the years with alignment firstly I have found differences between samples the latest 2019 samples are better in terms of this as they have changed the bend on the tonearm. The ikeda is a nice musical arm great weight and scale, the Glanz is fantastic superb build quality no issues with alignment is a tad more dynamic and has a great wide soundstage and air, maybe not as full in the upper midrange as the ikeda. The fr66 is a great arm superb and very engaging its a bit more dynamic and open than the ikeda the problem is sourcing a nice sample it has a glorious midrange for my money the glanz offers best value its current so you have no service issues its superbly made very open and dynamic with superb drive maybe a bit less fleshed out compared to the Ikeda and FR66S. I much prefer all three to the FR64S which is not as engaging in my opinion and would be more inclined to stick with the Ortofon should this be a option.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm paul.

Welcome Evan, from your name I assume you have walnut horns, would like to see them, love a bit of walnut and I'm seeing front horns in your set up.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Michael.

+1 on the Glanz! As I think MH-94s and MH-124s are the same price and you use a 309 the 12inch version would be the way to go! My MH-94s is by far the best arm I ever had and a match made in heaven with SPUs. I have a GM Mk2, a GME Mk2, a Meister Silver, a 95 Anniversary and a GT and every one sings in the Glanz, even the „humble“ GM Mk2! It‘s also important to notice that the Glanz has adjustable azimuth, something as far as I know is lacking in the other arms.
    AND Hugo Cass where you can buy one is an absolutely top man

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast