+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Modern Exposure Amps

I'm Shane.

Default Modern Exposure Amps

Going back a few years ago my father had the 3010S2 Integrated. The sound was indeed very good, plenty kick without giving you the wince factor. I'd love to hear the 3010S2 again without any hesitation. Can't be bothered with the now recent 3010S2D, just don't have any interest with the built in DAC.

I've also owned the smaller 2010S2. Again, very good sounding amp. Musical little belter it was. The 2010S2 reminds me of the old X Integrated but with a touch more refinement.

After hearing the modern Exposure stuff, I can't go back to the 'Farlowe' era amps anymore. The latter sounds a little bit uncouth in comparison to my ears. Many will disagree, but I don't give a damn!

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

I'm Simon.

The 'D' revision was not solely related to the DAC option. There are other differences. Plus the DAC is a cost option, so if you can't be bothered with it then you don't need to be! Indeed, most 'D' versions around do not have the DAC fitted.
    Lindemann Network Bridge > McIntosh MHA150 > Shahinian Larc speakers

I'm Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by simon g View Post
    The 'D' revision was not solely related to the DAC option. There are other differences. Plus the DAC is a cost option, so if you can't be bothered with it then you don't need to be! Indeed, most 'D' versions around do not have the DAC fitted.
    Understood. Did you own a 3010S2D at some point, Simon?

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

I'm Neil.

Default Modern Exposure Amps

I agree that new Exposure gear is every bit as good. Tony Brady is a talented designer and a great circuit tuner. There is a lot of nostalgia around Farlowe Exposure, I have a piece of history myself (Exposure III and IV), but my #1 recommendation for someone looking for an amp below £2k would be the Exposure 3010S2 / S2D. Better than Naim and Rega equivalents, better than most old Farlowe amps, what’s not to like?

PS the Exposure 2010S was my first “real” amp. It made my Pioneer A400 sound like a bag of nails. It was much better than a Nait 5i too. I used the 2010S with a pair of Amphion Argon2 speakers for years.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by southall-1998_mk2 View Post
    Understood. Did you own a 3010S2D at some point, Simon?

S.
    Indeed I have. It's the stand out amp at around this price. I could easily live with one long term. Exposure is one of my favourite manufacturers. The 5 series looks interesting, plus is a bit spendy and no integrated.
    Lindemann Network Bridge > McIntosh MHA150 > Shahinian Larc speakers

I'm Phil.

Been some lovely exposure amps recently in classifieds, must that integrated on the list to try
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

No idea if this is true, but around seventeen or eighteen years ago, the silver fronted Exposure amps were reported to have been designed by Talk Electronics' Kevin Edwards. No idea at all, but the 'immediate' kind of sound they had always reminded me of the Talk Electronics amp line...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Dennis.

I got a job with Cymbol and at that time, about '98, and Tony Brady was their designer, he subsequently , when I believe Cymbol went broke, going to Exposure.
    Last edited by Pharos; 01-06-2019 at 13:35.

+ Reply to Thread