+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OK People, lets do this! (Total Newbie!)

Bigman80 Guest

Best thing to do is buy a bag of resistors for about £1 and practice soldering them into some breadboard. This will give you some hands on experience.

Then I'd suggest building a super simple passive preamp. Ie, pot in a box. It'll give you a chance to drill the chassis to fits the rca sockets, solder wires to the sockets and then solder a pot to a tiny pcb and once you've done, if it works, you've made something.

An Alps blue, alps blue pcb, chassis and some super cheap wire and 4 rcas can all be had for under £30 and you have a spare emergency preamp when done.

I'll post some links to the bits and then you can have a look.

The BigBottle is a solder by numbers affair so as long as you learn to solder, can follow a simple plan and pay close attention to the details, you will have a working unit. If it goes wrong, it can be put right.

The LDA kit Chris does isn't for beginners I'm afraid. I've seen the ones Alan assembled and if a seasoned 40 year electronics Pro like Alan had to ask for clarification on some instructions , then it's definitely not one I'd take on at the minute. One for the future possibly.

I meant it when I offered help. I'll help with the learning process, just as I was helped when I started out. I know very little about electronics in comparison to the guys here but that's why the BigBottle phonostage project was created. For beginners to build a phonostage that keeps up with the best of them for very little outlay. £350 costs for a hybrid valve phonostage is pennies and the performance, well, I'll let those who build one decide.

I'm Grant.

best way is to give it to someone to do for you
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Well, I will be selling my phonostage in the near future as I have a new prototype to build so the option is there but talking to Rob, he seems keen to learn.

I'm Rob.

I'm usually in the "get a man in" camp but I fancy giving it a go.
    Well Tempered Versalex, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Trilogy 906, MCRU LDA Linear PSU, Naim ND5 XS 2 , Exposure 3010S2D, Roksan TR-5 speakers, Spotfire Interconnects/Spotfire Reference speaker cable

I'm Geoff.

Go for it. What's the worst that can happen? (hope the home insurance is up to date )
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Go for it. What's the worst that can happen? (hope the home insurance is up to date )
    Yeah what's the worst that can happen? Oh yeah death by electrocution!
    Well Tempered Versalex, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Trilogy 906, MCRU LDA Linear PSU, Naim ND5 XS 2 , Exposure 3010S2D, Roksan TR-5 speakers, Spotfire Interconnects/Spotfire Reference speaker cable

I'm Grant.

Be careful anyway. You often don't get two chances.
    But as long as ur careful and have a base knowledge you'll be OK.
    Just make sure its unplugged before you go inside or touch things.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Bigman80 Guest

Be careful anyway. You often don't get two chances.
    But as long as ur careful and have a base knowledge you'll be OK.
    Just make sure its unplugged before you go inside or touch things.
    Absolutely right.

Don't let that put you off though. It's just about being sensible. If it's switched on, don't stick anything in the box

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    The LDA kit Chris does isn't for beginners I'm afraid. I've seen the ones Alan assembled and if a seasoned 40 year electronics Pro like Alan had to ask for clarification on some instructions , then it's definitely not one I'd take on at the minute. One for the future possibly.
    What Oliver is not saying is that the LDR boards are pre assembled, and amongst the easiest of any kit to put together. Replied by Steve as
    Quote Originally Posted by STD305M View Post
    Not sure that would qualify as a build Chris More like assembly.Steve

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    What Oliver is not saying is that the LDR boards are pre assembled, and amongst the easiest of any kit to put together. Replied by Steve as
    I didn't realise that they come pre populated Chris.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast