+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hana SL or ML Cartridge

I'm Wayne.

You can’t lose by buying a Hana SL from Guy. It’s a real cracker and you’ll enjoy many hours of listening with it. When the next upgrade bug hits you could look at another arm and then after that consider the ML.

I’ve tried both the SL and ML and yep the ML is better whereas the SL is the absolute sweet spot of sound per pound.

I'm Rob.

I only have limited experience with other cartridges, but I am very pleased with my Hana SL.
    Rob.
    Powered by crossed fingers and clenched buttocks

I'm Alberto.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsondonkey View Post
    You can’t lose by buying a Hana SL from Guy. It’s a real cracker and you’ll enjoy many hours of listening with it. When the next upgrade bug hits you could look at another arm and then after that consider the ML.

I’ve tried both the SL and ML and yep the ML is better whereas the SL is the absolute sweet spot of sound per pound.

I'm considering change the tonerarm for a Jelco, I think it's a good price and isn't so expensive and could be a good upgraded. So, do you think that ml it's a good option with that tonearm??

Thanks

I'm John.

The Jelco and SL work well together, however with the SL you need to watch the loading. If you can only feed it 100ohm then it's just another good cartridge. However if you can feed it the recommended 400+ ohms then it's becomes an absolutely stonking cart that is hard to better for the money.
    The ML is also an absolutely brilliant cart but the Jelco won't really do it justice, it deserves a better arm even though its only a £1k cart.
    The SL correctly setup and loaded will hold its own against far more expensive carts and as mentioned earlier is the sweets pot for SQ vs ££s.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
    The Jelco and SL work well together, however with the SL you need to watch the loading. If you can only feed it 100ohm then it's just another good cartridge. However if you can feed it the recommended 400+ ohms then it's becomes an absolutely stonking cart that is hard to better for the money.
    The ML is also an absolutely brilliant cart but the Jelco won't really do it justice, it deserves a better arm even though its only a £1k cart.
    The SL correctly setup and loaded will hold its own against far more expensive carts and as mentioned earlier is the sweets pot for SQ vs ££s.
    I think it really depends upon which Jelco you go for, some of them are very good, and do not be mis-lead by the low price it does not mean they are not any good. I believe Jelco actually do make arms for several well know arm makes. I think you would find the 850 range pretty good.

Another good arm that has been recommended to me is the Acoustic Research TA1000 http://acoustic-signature.com/en/tone-arms/ta-1000/ once again not overtly expensive but highly regarded. I was told you could easily spend 2-3 times and not better it.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm phil.

I agree the hana is a lot of cart for the cost I still use one, change the cart get a new phone sit back and enjoy
    Modded td160 super Thorens ol encounter arm hana sl cart, angle audio studio pro mc virtual battery phono amp with separate psi, Onix pre and mono amps, Onix CD player, Onix BWD and soap tuner. B&W dm2 speakers or super pencil 12 speakers, atlas cables, seperate mains power supply with earth spike.

I'm Wolfeschlegelsteinhausenbergerdorff.

I have a Koetsu Red T...five times the price of the Hana, had a Hana SL previous. The Koetsu is obviously way better, but I definitely wouldn't be sad if I broke it and had to go back to a Hana SL, I genuienly think its the best value MC cart out there, but not in a Tesco Value way...in a VW Golf GTI kind of way. Does everything, and does everything well.

I'm Alberto.

I was thinking in the 750. I can get it for a very very good price.

Regarding the phono stage i can set up 9 different load options (10Ω, 22Ω, 47Ω, 100Ω, 220Ω, 470Ω, 1000Ω, 22KΩ, 47KΩ). I guess It can be suit for both SL and Ml.

With that set up do you still get the SL???

I'm John.

I would say yes, and run the SL at 470 1st, then see how it sounds as you go higher.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Souldust View Post
    I was thinking in the 750. I can get it for a very very good price.

Regarding the phono stage i can set up 9 different load options (10Ω, 22Ω, 47Ω, 100Ω, 220Ω, 470Ω, 1000Ω, 22KΩ, 47KΩ). I guess It can be suit for both SL and Ml.

With that set up do you still get the SL???
    My understanding is that whilst the 750 is a good arm the 850 is quite an improvement on it and it would probably be worth the cost xtra to get more from the Hana. Hav3 a chat with Hugo at Ammonite Audio he knows about both and is very helpful. https://ammonite-audio.co.uk/
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast