+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Your Opinions Of The Mag Lev Turntable?

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalsea View Post
    There is/was a company, Clearaudio maybe, who used a sub-platter with magnets that floated the main platter and also spun to create the drive to main platter as well. Still had a vertical bearing. It was about 10 years ago, so I might have remembered it wrong.
    Almost right - the platter is suspended by opposing magnets, revolves around a ceramic spindle and is belt-driven by an off-board motor.

Completely silent in operation.

I'm Edward.

Speaking of alternative turntables has anyone heard the ELP laser pickup TT?

http://www.elpj.com/

Apparently $15k but only direct order so pricing may be different.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post

I was briefly reading that they are on offer on really high end systems. I think the Mag Lev introduces more issues then it solves. How would a giant magnetic field work with a MC cartridge?
    That’s exactly what I was thinking, what effect does this huge magnetic field have on the cartridge?

Russell

I'm Grant.

think they follow the inverse square law, ie, double the distance, the quarter the effect. i had a big magnet on end of my tonearm as a weight and over the length of arm there was no effect on a mc cart
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Deleted.

If done correctly, there is no ‘huge magnetic field’. What there is is a small localised magnetic field that is primarily vertical in nature. I’ve been using a version of a magnetic bearing for many years and am certain there is no issue with using a MC. In addition, the majority of Tranquility owners also use MC cartridges and not one issue has ever arisen.
    Account Deleted

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    If done correctly, there is no ‘huge magnetic field’. What there is is a small localised magnetic field that is primarily vertical in nature. I’ve been using a version of a magnetic bearing for many years and am certain there is no issue with using a MC. In addition, the majority of Tranquility owners also use MC cartridges and not one issue has ever arisen.
    I know magnetic bearings are nothing new, and as you describe, a small localized magnetic repulsion right at the spindle is plenty safe. But this turntable here has the entire platter flying an inch off the plinth! Quite something else. But, apparently it works or they couldn’t sell it?

I'm Karl.

Been using the Tranquility on my lp12 for about 6months now and it is a fantastic upgrade. Like you say, no interference with MC cart, very localised, and really does get you deeper into the mix with the music. Highly recommended and come up regularly on the forums so can be had cheap enough to try it out and move it on if its not to your liking... you wont be moving it on though, I promise you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Speaking of alternative turntables has anyone heard the ELP laser pickup TT?

http://www.elpj.com/

Apparently $15k but only direct order so pricing may be different.
    Yes, a long time ago at a Hi-Fi show somewhere.
    There's no stylus tracing noise, but it does read crud in the groove, so your records need to be spotless.
    They used to supply a RCM as part of the deal.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Winston.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post

Have you seen this before? I thought it would already have a mention on AOS.

Crowd funded to double the asking price its certainly eye catching. It should on paper reduce rumble to zero. I dont know how practical it is to use or whether its worth the cost. Rumble isnt obtrusive on decks costing less than this. Costs about £2800

Its cheaper than the Mcintosh Mt5 though.

Just wondered what AOS members thought about it

It's magic, I tell ya. Witchcraft. Hocus-Pockey..., or some such thing
    Main system: Lenco L75, Thorens TD-125, Technics SL1700, ReVox A77 two-track 15 ips, Sony PS-1, Dell laptop, mxr, eq, Audio-Research LS-3, UREI 6150, DIY two-way speakers with Altec 802/811 & Goodmans 18” midwoofers.
    Author of; “HIGH-END AUDIO on a BUDGET”

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234