+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your Opinions Of The Mag Lev Turntable?

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    Jerry, I don’t think the Gale was magnetically driven or supported. The suspension was via springs and the motor was a direct drive design.
    Ah, OK - it's said to have a 'floating magnetic bearing'. Maybe I misunderstood what that was.

I'm Grant.

Had mag lev feet once on a tt. Worked well
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Angus.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Had mag lev feet once on a tt. Worked well
    Mag lev feet are fine, maybe even a mag lev bearing of the type which works only to reduce the load without compromising path from platter to stylus (although expensive/unnecessary feature today). Mag lev platter with no connection to anything else?

I'm Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Ah, OK - it's said to have a 'floating magnetic bearing'. Maybe I misunderstood what that was.
    Hmm... maybe you are right though - I’ll look into it.
    Account Deleted

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Could it be a not very good solution looking for what is not really a problem? (expensively)
    Yes this is my gut feeling and I think the general consensus so far backs that up.

I dont want one

I'm Gary.

Looks as cool as fcuk..

Closest cool looks wise I’ve seen to a Gyrodec but not quite.

Sound wise, wouldn’t bet the farm on it
    Hipster marketing with a bit of money behind it
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post

My apologies Jerry; I’ve read into the Gale a bit more and it is suggested that the main bearing was supported magnetically. More precisely, the bearing of the direct drive motor, to which the platter was attached, was supported magnetically. In many ways the Gale was way ahead of its time. Unfortunately, I don’t think all the technology was quite as developed as the concepts behind it.
    Account Deleted

I'm Martin.

Doesnt a good magnetic bearing just lift the spindle above the main load point like the Mcintosh? You still oil the spindle but it lifts it above the lower contact point.

I thought a well designed bearing is fairly free from rumble so you would be spending three grand for the artistic looks

I dont know much about magnetic bearings.They seem to make sense but the cost seems too high for the average user

I was briefly reading that they are on offer on really high end systems. I think the Mag Lev introduces more issues then it solves. How would a giant magnetic field work with a MC cartridge?

How is it ever going to stop wobbling if touched and what happens if there is a sudden power cut? The rest sensors would have to rise immediately with back up power

I'm Geoff.

There are quiet running turntables made fifty years ago that still have perfectly good bearings, so I don't see maglev being a significant benefit.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Angus.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    Doesnt a good magnetic bearing just lift the spindle above the main load point like the Mcintosh? You still oil the spindle but it lifts it above the lower contact point. ...
    A magnetically assisted bearing should reduce the load on the thrust pad, but not lift it out of contact. If you lose contact with the thrust pad then the platter is floating (and unconstrained) in the vertical axis. With modern materials for thrust pads and spindles magnetic assistance is unnecessary for engineering purposes, although probably essential for smoke and mirrors marketeers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast