+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your Opinions Of The Mag Lev Turntable?

I'm Rob.

I've been looking at the Tiger-Paw Tranquility as an upgrade option for my LP12. It uses magnetic force to reduce the load on the bearing without totally removing it. The design seems to me a good compromise of still keeping the mechanical bearing, but minimising the force going through it. I've read a couple of online opinions on the Tranquility and it seems to be positive. Anyone any thoughts on the Tranquility, or experience of using it?

Rob.
    Powered by crossed fingers and clenched buttocks

I'm Deleted.

I did the primary design work and concept modelling for the Tranquility. Roger did the production engineering (a lot more work than often appreciated) and marketing. It’s based on work on magnetically supported bearings I started many years ago and is a variety of the design I personally use in my own deck.
    Account Deleted

I'm Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    There are quiet running turntables made fifty years ago that still have perfectly good bearings, so I don't see maglev being a significant benefit.
    It depends on what you consider ‘quiet’ to be. Quiet in the sense that you can’t directly hear any bearing rumble but that doesn’t mean that rumble doesn’t exist, or that the low level noise isn’t interfering with the music. However, if you are thinking of idler drive decks then the motor is likely to be producing much more noise than the main bearing and swamping any bearing rumble that may exist.
    Account Deleted

I'm Frank.

Pickering had a magnetic bearing deck as far back as the late 50s.

In the 70s there was the Gyropoise which was sold under both Pickering and Stanton brands. It's a really neat little deck.

I'm Deleted.

Indeed. The primary difference in modern implementations is the use of neodymium magnets which allow much more control over the magnetic field.
    Account Deleted

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    I did the primary design work and concept modelling for the Tranquility. Roger did the production engineering (a lot more work than often appreciated) and marketing. It’s based on work on magnetically supported bearings I started many years ago and is a variety of the design I personally use in my own deck.
    That'll be a positive vote then

Good stuff. Nice to know Mark!
    Rob.