+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Rega Isis CD Player

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

John I found the original Saturn a lovely sounding player so I'm sure the 'R' version is also very good indeed..

Enjoy...
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm colum.

Quote Originally Posted by simon g View Post
    I've now gone back to concentrating on CD as my primary source. If you're looking for a true high end, high quality, piece of kit then you should take a look at what I went for; the GATO CDD1. This uses the best and most relaible CD transport of all time, IMO, the Philips Pro2LF (these remain available, by the way. I checked and GATO has plenty in stock). You also get access to the DAC via USB or coaxial. Worth getting a liten or homw dem, if poss.

My one:

Simon, is that the anniversary model with the black dial, is it more expensive than the White dial model?, I see GATO are selling directly at a discount of 40%!!!

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by greygoose View Post
    Simon, is that the anniversary model with the black dial, is it more expensive than the White dial model?, I see GATO are selling directly at a discount of 40%!!!
    Yes, it's the anniversary model. Interesting move by Gato. Not sure it'll succeed to be honest. Taking the dealer out means no trade ins, for a start. No home dems. OK, they offer trial periods but you've got to stump up first. Plus Gato will have to do all their own brand promotion. They say they will compensate buyers over the past 24 months, but no specific details. I bought at a good price though; even st the new pricing these are EUR4k. Not cheap, but end game for me. I'm thinking about an Amp 150 to go with it. Hmmmmm
    Lindemann Network Bridge > McIntosh MHA150 > Shahinian Larc speakers

I'm colum.

Quote Originally Posted by simon g View Post
    Yes, it's the anniversary model. Interesting move by Gato. Not sure it'll succeed to be honest. Taking the dealer out means no trade ins, for a start. No home dems. OK, they offer trial periods but you've got to stump up first. Plus Gato will have to do all their own brand promotion. They say they will compensate buyers over the past 24 months, but no specific details. I bought at a good price though; even st the new pricing these are EUR4k. Not cheap, but end game for me. I'm thinking about an Amp 150 to go with it. Hmmmmm
    Can you confirm if there is any difference between the anniversary model and the white face dial model?

From another thread it appears there will be two business models.
    1. Order online direct from Gato at discounted prices in euro.
    2. Order from UK Dealer at same price in pounds, with dealer backup / service.

Still at 4k its a premiun product....

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by greygoose View Post
    Can you confirm if there is any difference between the anniversary model and the white face dial model?

From another thread it appears there will be two business models.
    1. Order online direct from Gato at discounted prices in euro.
    2. Order from UK Dealer at same price in pounds, with dealer backup / service.

Still at 4k its a premiun product....
    I'm not sure of any differences, to be honest, other than aesthetic. It's a really superb sounding machine and the indicator 'status' dial is great fun, especially when it shows track progress like a fuel gauge! It's a very solid, well made player. However, I'm not getting on too well with the top loading mechanism design. The transport is a Philips Pro, which I've had before. Very high quality and reliable. GATO has chosen to have the clamp with cut outs (so disc is partially exposed, which doesn't help containing the noise of the disc rotating), plus the design of how it locates on to lugs isn't great. Any slight eccentricity of the CD creates an annoying 'ticking' noise when disc rotates. This can be ameliorated by slightly repositioning the clamp wrt the spinning central element. For many this probably isn't a problem, but it's a distraction for me, especially during quieter periods of music. Plus I sit quite close to my kit. It's a real shame, as SQ wise this player is right up there.
    Lindemann Network Bridge > McIntosh MHA150 > Shahinian Larc speakers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234