+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35

Thread: Rega Isis CD Player

  1. #1
    Join Date: Sep 2014

    Location: Northern Ireland

    Posts: 1,067
    I'm John.

    Default Rega Isis CD Player

    I have very kindly been loaned a Rega Isis CD player for a while by a fellow audiophile.



    It's not immediately impressive but it is hard to turn off...hhhmmmm
    Naim CDS CD player, BTE Khozmo passive preamp, Luxman Avance Z504 power amp, Lockwood Academy speakers with Tannoy HPD385 drivers, BigBottle Audio Spotfire interconnects.


  2. #2
    Join Date: Nov 2008

    Location: North Down /Northern Ireland/ UK

    Posts: 19,039
    I'm Neil.

    Default

    Lucky you, nice Cd player, the valve version is very nice.
    Regards Neil

  3. #3
    Join Date: Oct 2008

    Location: Glasgowshire

    Posts: 7,459
    I'm availableforweddingsAndBarmitzvas.

    Default

    That’s how I found my Rega dac to be...
    Just so listenable, but in the background.

    Maybe it’s confusing out hifi brains with it’s musicality?
    I enjoy Hifi n stuff...

  4. #4
    Join Date: Mar 2012

    Location: Ireland

    Posts: 28
    I'm colum.

    Default Rega isis CD player

    That is a friend, I have never had the pleasure of listening to the Rega ISIS, supposed to be very special from all the reviews, surprised they are subtle at first listen.
    Is the presentation very smooth or is it lively / holographic? I am considering a high end CD at the moment with my options down to Rega / Lector/ Audionote for service and musicality.
    I got a pair of Sennheiser HD800'S this year and it took almost 3 months before my Brain / Ears came to terms with what they could do, I am glad I persisted with them and happy with the result, I was not overwhelmed when I listened to them at first coming from a pair of HD650'S.

  5. #5
    Join Date: Apr 2011

    Location: UK ~ Sussex

    Posts: 123
    I'm Simon.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greygoose View Post
    That is a friend, I have never had the pleasure of listening to the Rega ISIS, supposed to be very special from all the reviews, surprised they are subtle at first listen.
    Is the presentation very smooth or is it lively / holographic? I am considering a high end CD at the moment with my options down to Rega / Lector/ Audionote for service and musicality.
    I got a pair of Sennheiser HD800'S this year and it took almost 3 months before my Brain / Ears came to terms with what they could do, I am glad I persisted with them and happy with the result, I was not overwhelmed when I listened to them at first coming from a pair of HD650'S.
    I've now gone back to concentrating on CD as my primary source. If you're looking for a true high end, high quality, piece of kit then you should take a look at what I went for; the GATO CDD1. This uses the best and most relaible CD transport of all time, IMO, the Philips Pro2LF (these remain available, by the way. I checked and GATO has plenty in stock). You also get access to the DAC via USB or coaxial. Worth getting a liten or homw dem, if poss.

    My one:

    Lindemann Network Bridge > McIntosh MHA150 > Shahinian Larc speakers

  6. #6
    Join Date: Nov 2008

    Location: North Down /Northern Ireland/ UK

    Posts: 19,039
    I'm Neil.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simon g View Post
    I've now gone back to concentrating on CD as my primary source. If you're looking for a true high end, high quality, piece of kit then you should take a look at what I went for; the GATO CDD1. This uses the best and most relaible CD transport of all time, IMO, the Philips Pro2LF (these remain available, by the way. I checked and GATO has plenty in stock). You also get access to the DAC via USB or coaxial. Worth getting a liten or homw dem, if poss.

    My one:

    Gato stuff looks interesting. The look is a sort of Primare meets Shanling.
    Regards Neil

  7. #7
    Join Date: Jul 2011

    Location: Near M1/M6 junction

    Posts: 1,697
    I'm Peter.

    Default

    I've lived happily with the Isis Valve for 8 years now. I agree about it not being immediately impressive, John, but it's well worth persisting. I've had audiophiles listen to mine for a couple of tracks and be rather underwhelmed ... presumably they were expecting some hyper-real sonic firworks, or something? I took it to one dealer to hear against a Naim 555, and he clearly thought the Naim was streets ahead. I thought the Naim sounded like a very good CD player, whereas the Rega sounded like real music. Admittedly, if you're used to typical CD players and DACs, the Isis Valve's presentation can seem rather different, and seems to leave new listeners a bit nonplussed at first. Each to their own, I guess, but the Isis Valve is, overall, the most satisfying source I've ever had ... certainly I've spent a small fortune trying, and failing, to get my vinyl rig up to the same standard. Vinyl, it seems to me, is swings and roundabouts, whereas the Rega pretty much gives it all ... as far as my needs go, anyway

  8. #8
    Join Date: Mar 2016

    Location: Barnet, london UK

    Posts: 1,764
    I'm Adam.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by petrat View Post
    I've lived happily with the Isis Valve for 8 years now. I agree about it not being immediately impressive, John, but it's well worth persisting. I've had audiophiles listen to mine for a couple of tracks and be rather underwhelmed ... presumably they were expecting some hyper-real sonic firworks, or something? I took it to one dealer to hear against a Naim 555, and he clearly thought the Naim was streets ahead. I thought the Naim sounded like a very good CD player, whereas the Rega sounded like real music. Admittedly, if you're used to typical CD players and DACs, the Isis Valve's presentation can seem rather different, and seems to leave new listeners a bit nonplussed at first. Each to their own, I guess, but the Isis Valve is, overall, the most satisfying source I've ever had ... certainly I've spent a small fortune trying, and failing, to get my vinyl rig up to the same standard. Vinyl, it seems to me, is swings and roundabouts, whereas the Rega pretty much gives it all ... as far as my needs go, anyway
    It also has the most substantial remote control I've ever fondled!!
    "lack of passion is fatal"


    Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / Tenuto gun metal mat / SME-3012R ikeda rewire / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Jan Allaerts MC1 Boron / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: SW1X Audio Design DAC 1 signature / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

  9. #9
    Join Date: Apr 2011

    Location: Surrey

    Posts: 4,153
    I'm Mike.

    Default

    The Isis is excellent.
    Had an Isis SS for years before the much more expensive TAD persuaded me to move on
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

    Mike

  10. #10
    Join Date: Aug 2008

    Location: Suffolk, UK

    Posts: 1,474
    I'm Paul.

    Default

    It’s interesting what has been said about the Rega. I find that. While some hifi equipment can sound initially impressive long term it can become a little grating while some hifi just seems mor satisfying over the long term.
    ~Paul~

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •