+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: GARRARD 401 - Restoration thread!!

I'm Andrew.

The Garrard 401 (39432) Restoration Pt III - Lets begin...

A bumper update tonight. So lets start with the platter mat.

The platter mat is quite a flimsy thing compared to the beefy 301 offering. My example was encrusted with 20 years of barn storage crap. Warm soapy water only gets you so far!

plattermat1.jpg

The central metal disc had lost it's mojo and had actually fallen off. Heavily corroded and generally not looking very good.

plattermat2.jpg

6 hours, yes SIX hours of elbow grease, wet and dry paper 60 all the way to 2500 grit and we end up with this.

plattermat3.jpg

It's still not perfect and it does have some small scratches and pits but I'm keeping all the original parts. A new mat would have an easier option but I preferred to save the £60 for other bits the deck may need.

The bearing needed quite a lot of work. I removed small nuts, bolts, screws and gave them an ultrasonic clean.

bearing2.jpg

I then needed to dismantle the bearing.

bearing3.jpg

See Part IV
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

The Garrard 401 (39432) Restoration Pt IV - Bearing up...

The thrust pad is showing typical wear. The paper gasket is in good condition but the felt ring which protects the top of the spindle is knackered. I have ordered replacement parts for these.

.bearing4.jpg

The base of the spindle is showing signs of wear. The spindle will be going to Martin for a shaft polish and the base reground.

bearing5.jpg

I've polished the spindle head and removed all the corrosion that can be seem in the pictures in part 1.

bearing7.jpg

And this is what the cleaning fluid looks like after cleaning the bearing.

bearing9.jpg

The bearing will ultimately be going to Martin Bastin for polish and assessment. There are still parts of the bearing which need cleaning but that's for another session. I'm currently working on the platter but that's for another update!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm TAD.

Hi, just sent a PM. Please advise if you wish to take further. Thank you.
    T.

I'm Andrew.

The Garrard 401 (39432) Restoration Pt V - Naked.

Lots of progress today. The platter is now fully restored. Last night it received several coats of primer and eventually I settled for a matt black outer rim finish. I had to then file away (very gently) the strobe markings and this took all morning! The platter mat is also fully restored I fixed the central metal disc in place with double sided 3M stick tape. The bearing is also party refurbished but if still needs some work doing to the screw and case to make it more cosmetically presentable. I'm awaiting a new thrust pad and paper gasket before it goes for a diamond polish to Martin Bastin. The 401's faceplate has also been refurbished. The faceplate is held onto the outer chassis by 6 small grub screws, needless to say they had rusted into place but with a little WD40 they eased free. I ultrasonically cleaned them and ground away and remnants of rust. The three main selector switches on the 401 needed some attention. The outer faceplates are badly corroded so I have ordered 3 of these and they should arrive next week and should very easily provide a quick cosmetic fix. I also took the time to clean the three copper mounting washers and ultrasonically cleaned and polished the three mounting screws. The three selector switches look as good as new. The faceplate also needed cleaning and this was achieved with a little diluted surgical spirit to cut through the grime. Cotton buds were used so as not to scratch the delicate chrome finish. The faceplate has suffered badly from corrosion so I have had to wet and dry it down to remove excess corrosion. I have had to order a new faceplate to replace the speed selector, on/off, and break speed markings. The "Garrard 401" writing on the right of the faceplate was sanded and primed it will be sprayed the Garrard grey colour.

The 401 is now completely broken down. Here is a shot of the Chassis, completely naked . Next week's job is to strip this down to bare metal and get ready for priming. I've put all loose screw, nuts, bolts etc into loads of envelopes with copious notes detailing the correct parts sequences this has also been backed up with over 200 pictures to act as assembly guides. Finally the linkages, wiring loom and motor, all are waiting for refurbishment.

chassis.jpgbaggedup.jpglinkages.jpg

And here's a quick picture of 20 hours worth of work, not much to show!! These are the completed bits. The faceplate will be resprayed and lacquered tomorrow.

finishedbits.jpg

Well that's it for tonight. I'll be spending the rest of this evening looking for new springs and bit's for the motor. As ever, stay tuned!
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm TAD.

Excellent work, Andrew. You may know already, but you can look up any colour in a Pantone chart to get just the right shade of Garrard grey. Literally hundreds of shades to choose from. Thanks for the pm.
    Tad.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by TAD12 View Post
    Excellent work, Andrew. You may know already, but you can look up any colour in a Pantone chart to get just the right shade of Garrard grey. Literally hundreds of shades to choose from. Thanks for the pm.
    Tad.
    Thanks TAD. I'll be updating the thread soon.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Sien.

Nice work Andrew.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by sph View Post
    Nice work Andrew.
    Thanks Sien, I might try your Garrard bearing on it for a but of experimentation.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

The Garrard 401 (39432) Restoration Pt VI - All scrubbed up!

Another boat load of work done on the 401 today. The first picture shows the 401 as it is now. The chassis has been completely stripped, primed, painted and lacquered. It will be another 24 hours before I started bolting things back onto the chassis. The faceplate has been completely restored and the three switches have three new scratch free face plates. The strove light is missing and none of the linkages have been attached yet to the underside of the chassis.

4012.jpg

A little more work today on the bearing. The pic shows some of the new replacement parts. As you can see a new thrust pad, paper gasket and wool oil ring for the top of the bearing. The bearing still need some work. I will be yellow zinc plating at some point. The bearing casing needs some cleaning but otherwise it's nearly finished.

bearing.jpg

I started work on the motor today. I removed all the e-clips holding the motor suspension in place. I also replaced all the motors springs with new parts and I recycled the motor spring rubbers. I cleaned them up and they look as good as new. I have replaced all the e-clips with new and I'm in the process of cleaning all the spring clips. I also scrubbed and cleaned the motor cage, it's now looking very clean indeed.

eclips.jpg

I've also restored part of the idler wheel mechanism, check out these two photo's. A before and after shot. This took several hours of hard graft. I've also cleaned down the magnet holder and resurfaced the magnet in the idler wheel mechanism.

idler mechanism.jpgidler mechanism2.jpg

The motor is a complete wreck at this moment and it still need further breaking down and repainting. The wire loom needs cleaning and the spark suppressor case is looking quite manky! There are also many components from the motor which need cleaning and rust removal and then re-plating. All in all good progress is being made and I'm hoping to get the motor finished by this time next week.

As ever stay tuned.......
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Pavel.

Looks great!

How did you transfer new decals to the faceplate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast