+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: GARRARD 401 - Restoration thread!!

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Another great update Andrew, really does look like a labour of love!

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk
    Thanks Alex. The next update will be something special.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

401 finished. Plinth being made. Nearly completed. Now excited.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

One week and then the presentation of the restoration. Phew!!
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm S.

Great thread, any update/photos on the finished 401?

I'm Andre.

Hope its exciting & not like all the other same old same old we see, Been on a knife edge for nearly a year now

I'm Andrew.

Ok I will see what I can do tonight over a whiskey
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

The Garrard 401 (39432) Restoration Pt X - Finally....

OK, so rather embarrassed I decided to take a few shots and write a little about the 401 project. So this is what it looks like.

1.jpg

It has 2 arms. An Alphason HRS1000, silver rewired , this take care of MM cartridge duties. The second arm is the SME V-12 which takes care of MC cartridge duties. I've yet to order the Phasemation PP500, but I shall at the end of the month. Vinyl playing duties are being taken care of with either my Garrard 301 or Technics 1210. The plinth is a 25KG Martin Bastin birch ply construction. The Martin Bastin plinth enables 9" and 12" tonearm boards to be mounted quite easily. I've included a close up of the tonearm board for good reason.

2.jpg

If you look closely you will see that the tonearm board design enables good coupling to the plinth. You'll also notice that you can add decoupling rubbers under the screws if you want and even bugger about with different tonearm board materials. I gave the 401 a new paint job. As you can see everything (and I mean everything) has been cleaned, polished, ultrasonically cleaned and re-assembled. The bearing is the original 401 but with Martin Bastin modifications (TOP SECRET)!!!

3.jpg

If you look very carefully you'll notice that the screws holding the motor cage are missing. That's because we have decoupled the motor!

4.jpg

Finally a quick shot showing complete speed stability at 33.3 RPM!

5.jpg

The 401 is silent in operation. It sounds fantastic and has oodles more detail than the 301.

OK, that's it another resto complete!
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andre.

Andy why has it took a year to do that?

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    The Garrard 401 (39432) Restoration Pt X - Finally....

OK, so rather embarrassed I decided to take a few shots and write a little about the 401 project. So this is what it looks like.

1.jpg

It has 2 arms. An Alphason HRS1000, silver rewired , this take care of MM cartridge duties. The second arm is the SME V-12 which takes care of MC cartridge duties. I've yet to order the Phasemation PP500, but I shall at the end of the month. Vinyl playing duties are being taken care of with either my Garrard 301 or Technics 1210. The plinth is a 25KG Martin Bastin birch ply construction. The Martin Bastin plinth enables 9" and 12" tonearm boards to be mounted quite easily. I've included a close up of the tonearm board for good reason.

2.jpg

If you look closely you will see that the tonearm board design enables good coupling to the plinth. You'll also notice that you can add decoupling rubbers under the screws if you want and even bugger about with different tonearm board materials. I gave the 401 a new paint job. As you can see everything (and I mean everything) has been cleaned, polished, ultrasonically cleaned and re-assembled. The bearing is the original 401 but with Martin Bastin modifications (TOP SECRET)!!!

3.jpg

If you look very carefully you'll notice that the screws holding the motor cage are missing. That's because we have decoupled the motor!

4.jpg

Finally a quick shot showing complete speed stability at 33.3 RPM!

5.jpg

The 401 is silent in operation. It sounds fantastic and has oodles more detail than the 301.

OK, that's it another resto complete!
    Well done that man !
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post
    Andy why has it took a year to do that?
    Apathy towards the hobby.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast