+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: GARRARD 401 - Restoration thread!!

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by dahdit View Post
    Sorted now Robbie, thanks for your help.
    You're welcome, anytime
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by dahdit View Post
    Superb job Andrew and an excellent, informative and very generous thread. It has inspired me to get a 401 out of the loft and have a go at it myself. I bought it from a junk shop in the early 80's on a piece of plywood with a Neat tonearm. It hasn't been spun since apart from a half hearted attempt a few years ago to oil it in the right places more for preservation that anything else. It spins now though... after all those years!

When I can work out how to post pictures I'll start a thread. Thank you!
    Ah, that's pretty cool thanks, that's what the thread was about. Good luck with the resto.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

The Garrard 401 (39432) Restoration Pt XI - 3 Years and now we see some more updates..........

I've been tweaking my Garrard 301, again! And so I needed a TT to play my Jazz on Sundays, the 401 fitted the bill. It has been a long time since I did any work on the 401 and this post and a few others will hopefully update this thread and detail how my system sounds. I own three systems and currently I'm listening to System 3 (see my signature to see what's in it). I'm using system 3 because my SME 3012 is going on holiday upto Scotland for some surgery. Surgery is needed because the cartridge pins in the tonearm are stuck which is really common on these old SME's and as a consequence we have lost a channel which in this instance is the right channel. The 401 has replaced the Heybrook TT2 which I own and think is one of the best spring suspension TT's ever devised, it's good, but not as good as the 401. I'll post more tomorrow and some pictures......

Stay tuned...
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm James.

look forward to the pics and a continuation of this project Andy
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Andrew.

Thanks Jim, no-one seems to be posting anything like this anymore. A bit sad really!!
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakefield Turntables View Post
    Thanks Jim, no-one seems to be posting anything like this anymore. A bit sad really!!
    It is a bit thin on the ground for posts like this, but this is not the only forum that has gone a bit quiet. I think the great heyday of audio forum participation and enthusiasm is waning. Lots of folk now fall into the following categories.

1. Create interesting content and participate enthusiastically in forum content.
    2. Occasionally add a comment.
    3. Lurk and very rarely contribute anything.

I feel that the majority of folk on forums are now in category 3.

Maybe most folk are either very happy where they are or couldn't be bothered?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    It is a bit thin on the ground for posts like this, but this is not the only forum that has gone a bit quiet. I think the great heyday of audio forum participation and enthusiasm is waning. Lots of folk now fall into the following categories.

1. Create interesting content and participate enthusiastically in forum content.
    2. Occasionally add a comment.
    3. Lurk and very rarely contribute anything.

I feel that the majority of folk on forums are now in category 3.

Maybe most folk are either very happy where they are or couldn't be bothered?
    I try to be option one but admit to being too tired most nights to make any decent contributions!
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

The Garrard 401 (39432) Restoration Pt XII - System 3

I have added a few more photo's so that people can see what System 3 looks like. So, here it is in all it's glory.

I really need to do more with the 401 as the Martin Bastin plinth is just sitting on top of the rack and not really being isolated from any of the vibration coming from any of the other components in the system. I do have some very thick Sorbothane in the garage, I'll be making some nice feet when I have a spare 30 minutes in the garage.

The above picture shows a couple of upgrades. Firstly JICO SAS/S stylus for the SC35C and secondly a Panzerholz SME tonearm mount I made for the SME V-12, it's a bit rough and ready but fits perfectly and no-one see's the rough edges!!!

Finally, not a very good shot but here's the JICO SAS/S fitted to the SC35C.

I have more things planned for this system so, as ever, stay tuned.....
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm James.

Great photos and update Andy

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Great photos and update Andy
    I thank-you very much.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast