+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: GARRARD 401 - Restoration thread!!

I'm Andre.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Apathy towards the hobby.
    That i can relate to.

I'm Martin.

Nice plinth. Ant of BTE Designs built me something similar, including armboard, for my G99

I'm Keith.

I like the look of that.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    Well done that man !
    Thanks a lot.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty38 View Post
    Nice plinth. Ant of BTE Designs built me something similar, including armboard, for my G99

I've restored one of these as Well!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Karl.

Default GARRARD 401 - Restoration thread!!

Just had a good old read through Andrew and it was fantastic to see the attention to detail and thoroughness you went to. I’m sure it’s paid dividends.

Did you end up using the SPH bearing at any point?

Ive got one here to compare with the new CTC brass offering but Ray seems to think that balls are a big no no in the bearing as they screw the spindle and pad over time? Any thoughts? Surely this would take years of normal usage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Bigbird; 17-03-2020 at 07:42.
    CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm Grant.

Yeah lovely job
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbird View Post
    Just had a good old read through Andrew and it was fantastic to see the attention to detail and thoroughness you went to. I’m sure it’s paid dividends.

Did you end up using the SPH bearing at any point?

Ive got one here to compare with the new CTC brass offering but Ray seems to think that balls are a big no no in the bearing as they screw the spindle and pad over time? Any thoughts? Surely this would take years of normal usage

Thanks very much Karl for your kind words. No I didn't use the SPH bearing although I still own one as a spare. The SPH is good but I think the modded Bastin Bearing bearing (to my ears) is better. I've not tried one of Ray's bearings even though he lives less than two miles from me!! I've heard conflicting opinions about each approach to Garrard bearings, but then you would wouldn't you. I suppose every party has an agenda and ultimately that's to sell a bearing. I have done a LOT of research into Garrard's probably too much! I've spoken to a lot of the current luminaries on the subject, these include Martin Bastin, Terry at Loricraft, Matt at Audiograil, and a few others. The overriding consent of opinion seems to be that the original Garrard bearing when fettled works best. I suppose you might need a larger bearing if your going for over sized platters but I doubt one man in a shed with a lathe will have spent as many man hours or pounds experimenting or listening than a paid laboratory full of staff and designers with infinitely more complex gear for the job. I suppose the big take away is trust your ears.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Yeah lovely job
    Thanks Grant, appreciated.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Karl.

Yeah that’s exactly what I thought to be honest.
    I read that Ray said he’d done experiments with balls but after 1000-1500 hours or so they always damaged the spindle/thrust I’m sure my oversized platter and Tenuto would speed that up a touch as they are very heavy .
    That amount of hours would equate to a few years worth of spinning for me so if I had to replace the bearing every few years I wouldn’t mind too much anyway.
    What exactly does Martin do to the bearings to give such an improvement?

Cheers

CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbird View Post
    Yeah that’s exactly what I thought to be honest.
    I read that Ray said he’d done experiments with balls but after 1000-1500 hours or so they always damaged the spindle/thrust I’m sure my oversized platter and Tenuto would speed that up a touch as they are very heavy .
    That amount of hours would equate to a few years worth of spinning for me so if I had to replace the bearing every few years I wouldn’t mind too much anyway.
    What exactly does Martin do to the bearings to give such an improvement?

Cheers

Hi Karl,

I'm not sure what Martin does with the bearing. Your bound to get some wear and tear on the thrust plate. I use my 401 2-3 hours every Sunday to listen to Jazz so thar's about 100-150 hours a year, so I'd be looking at taking 10 years to show some wear on my thrust plate if I went for the Kokomo design (the ball bearing mod). So, I'd buy three Kokono thrust plates and that would probably see me to my wooden box! . I used a Tenuto and standard platter on my 301 for 5 years and never had any wear on the standard Garrard thrust plate. Thrust plate wear usually means scraping of the platter and a metallic sound when the platter is slowing down when you switch it off, so you could listen out for these noises if you do wear down your thrust plate.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast