+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mobile phone interference

I'm Mike.

Default Mobile phone interference

While listening to some LP's this afternoon i noticed when i approached the turntable that i was picking up interference from my phone and the closer my phone was to the cartridge the louder the interference, has anyone else noticed this with their gear?

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Stephen.

Although not quite the same as the “mobile effect” you describe I get a similar interference/hum when using my Decca Super Gold when I approach/lift the arm. Not massive but audible. In my case I seem to be inducing a ground loop because if I earth myself by touching a grounded piece of kit or the rack (also earthed) there is no interference/ hum.
    I know these cartridges have a reputation for hum but this is the only situation that mine does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by worrasf; 26-05-2019 at 07:45.
    Always a little further

I'm Deleted.

Both of the issues described are quite common. In Mike’s case it is the phonostage that is the cause and is quite common and some stages seem very much more sensitive to this issue than others. Weirdly, despite the active amplification stages being housed in largely plastic cases, my own stage seems quite immune to RF breakthrough.

The problem Stephen describes is a different problem altogether and relates to the tonearm grounding. In the past I have found it is down to whether the headshell/arm tube are grounded.
    Account Deleted

I'm Mike.

it was weird as i'd left my phone near to the TT then in between tracks i heard what i can only describe as "that mobile phone noise" as it happened in between tracks and i didn't realise that i'd left my phone so close i thought it might be something on the LP, but soon worked out the culprit

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm paul.

I used to get a bleeping signal through the speakers in my car when the phone was near the radio, radio wasn't even turned on.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Mick.

I had a similar problem when I used an Angle Audio phono stage. Seemed to pick up all sorts of noise dependant on where it was placed.
    Technics SL1210 MK2 fully rebuilt and repainted. Ortofon 2M Black Cart, Isonoe isolation feet , MN bearing and Funk Firm platter upgrade, Oyaide RCA Tone Arm and speaker cables, Jelco SA-750D Tonearm. Oyaide HS-TF Carbon headshell, MCRU Linear External PSU, High Fidelity Crystal glass turntable matt, Blue LED upgrade, Denon AVR-2808CI Amp, Bowers and Wilkins DM602S3 Speakers,
    Black Rhodium Jazz power cables for amp and turntable, Firebottle mk2 Phono Stage.

I'm Grant.

Could try some ferrite cores. But easiest way is to keep phone away. Older 2g was the worst offender
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Pavel.

It seems different components have different degree of sensitivity to mobile phone interference, I used to have a DAC that was bleeping mercilessly when a mobile phone was in the same room. I later had a battery-powered phono stage that was also heavily affected, perhaps because it was not really earthed properly.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Yes it does depend on the phonostage. With a previous system I had breakthrough from a taxi radio parked outside my house (a couple of ferrite beads on the leads inside the unit, just behind the phono input sockets cured it).

I have noticed mobile phone carrier signal breakthrough on some plastic-cased head amps I have tried.

I response to your post I padded over to my TT and placed my mobile phone as close to the cartridge as possible (a low output Ortofon MC), turned the volume up to my normal listening level - and heard nothing. So I'm quite satisfied with the interference rejection of my preamp/phonostage (Mark Levinson ML25/28).
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread