+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Enjoying myself with a few models

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian7633 View Post
    Got a job with the Cub.....

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    That is so real! It looks like I could walk up and jump on it and ride! You’ve got the talent, no doubt!

Russell

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Classic original R1 - my mate had one of the very first in that colour - left everything else on the road for dead.

Here's some inspiration on photography - this guy was genius.

An amazing video! And exactly what I’m talking about. I’ve been looking everywhere for some pics I have, nothing as good as that video, but they’re on an old computer I think. I’ll have to step up my search.

Russell

I'm Russell.

These are not the pics I was bragging about, however these are a few pics of the work I did on the corners of my small model railroad, for what it’s worth....

Russ

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    I used to have a 6mm Soviet army if that means anything to anyone!

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk
    Do you have any pics? I’d really like to see them

Russell

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    Do you have any pics? I’d really like to see them

Russell
    Sadly not, long gone, but there are some pics of similar figures and vehicles on here.

http://thepaintingchallenge.blogspot...s-and.html?m=1

I'm Ian.

These are not the pics I was bragging about, however these are a few pics of the work I did on the corners of my small model railroad, for what it’s worth....

Russ
    Excellent stuff Russ, I love the rutted grass track and that there are very few "clean" edges. That's the thing I've picked up from the YouTube vids, not to have dead straight lines and edges but to think about how grass and weeds grow and how litter moves about etc, much harder to do than it looks.
    It was just for a giggle but I thought the Cub was crying out for a pizza delivery box.
    I'm midway through making a Yamaha V-Max at present, a bike I never owned but should have, a perfect size for my ample physique lol.
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian7633 View Post
    Excellent stuff Russ, I love the rutted grass track and that there are very few "clean" edges. That's the thing I've picked up from the YouTube vids, not to have dead straight lines and edges but to think about how grass and weeds grow and how litter moves about etc, much harder to do than it looks.
    It was just for a giggle but I thought the Cub was crying out for a pizza delivery box.
    I'm midway through making a Yamaha V-Max at present, a bike I never owned but should have, a perfect size for my ample physique lol.
    Yes I love the pizza box, it gives it that last bit of realism! I can almost smell pizza when I see it. And I always thought the V Max to be an excellent design, I saw one, for real, a collector had it on his trailer along with a few other rare bikes. The man I sold my first Harley to, after I spent a small fortune doing a resto-mod, lives in California. A Japanese man, who was buying up literally dozens of bikes to restore and ship back to Japan to sell at inflated prices.

The dirt roads on my small layout are real dirt! I went out into the yard, found dirt the color I wanted, and sifted it. Then spread it out to my liking, and sprayed glue over it. I also made this neat machine that makes the grass, they sell them for a hefty price, but I made my own with a high voltage transformer, a 9v power source, and a Tupperware cup with a metal screen over the top. It statically charges this fake grass, which are rayon fibers died green. I spread glue, stick a ground pin in the “ground”, and shake this charged grass over it, and it all stands up like magic! You can buy this rayon in many colors and lengths.

The little barn is a wooden model, I stained the exterior with a wood aging die, and painted the roof silver. Then used that weathering powder to make it look rusted. The crops in the field and the vines on the wall come pre made, just glue in place. That stone wall, I have a rubber mold that I used a plaster of Paris to cast each piece separately, and it’s so easy to take black paint, thinned about 7 to 1 with water, and dab the white plaster with a sponge to make it look like granite.

I got into the model railroad because of its computer operation, it can be endlessly complicated and automated, controlling different trains separately while on the same track. But, I quickly became enamored with the modeling. Although I have not indulged in some time, these days playing music has taken up most of my spare time. But, one day soon I’ll be too old to do that (or my band mates will), and I’ll go back to modeling.

Now I’ve got to dig up that old computer to get those pics that I am truly proud of!

Russell

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Sadly not, long gone, but there are some pics of similar figures and vehicles on here.

http://thepaintingchallenge.blogspot...s-and.html?m=1

That’s some good stuff Lawrence! I imagine living where these battles took place, or just knowing your ancestors were there, makes it a bit more personal, to.”document”, them. I’ve seen some American Civil War models locally, but the models of WWII have a lot more stuff to work with! People don’t realize the research that goes into making good models, to study what, when and where to make them accurate. I’ve seen some modelers who are so talented that they can model an explosion, with the red fire and smoke, people and objects flying through the air, all static, frozen in time, that to me is truly amazing! Even Navy models that are in, “Water”, with rough seas, there is no end to the talent out there.

Russell

I'm Lawrence.

That’s some good stuff Lawrence! I imagine living where these battles took place, or just knowing your ancestors were there, makes it a bit more personal, to.”document”, them. I’ve seen some American Civil War models locally, but the models of WWII have a lot more stuff to work with! People don’t realize the research that goes into making good models, to study what, when and where to make them accurate. I’ve seen some modelers who are so talented that they can model an explosion, with the red fire and smoke, people and objects flying through the air, all static, frozen in time, that to me is truly amazing! Even Navy models that are in, “Water”, with rough seas, there is no end to the talent out there.

Russell
    These are post war Soviet armies so fortunately there were no battles here or we'd be living in areas poisoned by tactical nuclear weapons, even if it didn't escalate to all out MAD, which would have been highly likely!

I'm Ian.

Just finished this old monster, Yamaha V-Max. Not sure how I never owned one, ridden a few but that's as far as it went. Absolutely addictive acceleration, in fact before the Suzuki Hyabusa came along the V-Max was the fastest accelerating production bike. Rather a different story when you reached a corner though. It had the nickname of being the only cruiser that GSXR riders approved of.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast