+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LP12 Upgrade bearing advice

I'm Chris.

Default LP12 Upgrade bearing advice

Afternoon guys,

just wondering if anyone can give me some tips on the following.

I've upgraded my Linn LP12 with a Mose power supply and Mober bearing. I'm using a pre-cirkus spindle/subplatter (which I was told is fine).

Installation was really easy, much easier than I expected and is testament to the designer/supplier (Edmund Chan).

Anyway, after installation I can hear a small amount of grinding from the spindle in the new bearing if I put my ear a couple of inches away from it. I've used the correct amount of oil and it seems to be spinning freely enough, its just the sound wasn't there before with the old bearing in place.

Once the platter is on with the slip mat and its rotating the sound is certainly less audible but if you listen for it is still there.

I have only "loosely" set up the turntable regarding springs but I know its not far off and I don't think it would have any effect on this issue.

I've spoken to Bigbird (Karl) of this parish who has been super helpful in general to me but I just wondered if anyone has any tips/suggestions?

I can see you can secure the bearing in slightly different positions depending on where you secure the 3 retaining screws and I'm wondering if this would effect it?

Maybe due to the ball race design of the bearing there is a small amount of friction present as the bearing does hold the spindle slightly tighter than the old bearing.

I'm also wondering if a Cirkus or SSP12 platter upgrade would help.

All suggestions welcome!

Cheers,

Chris

I'm Joe.

Are you sure it's not the belt moving up to its optimum position? Have a look with the platter on upside down.

I'm Chris.

Hi Chris
    If you remove the outer platter, the inner platter despite raising up a bit can be examined for any point that is touching
    It suggests the motor area, I seem to recall two screws that get close to moving parts near the motor. It should show up
    where it is just touching, if you rotate the inner platter. Hope that helps.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
    Are you sure it's not the belt moving up to its optimum position? Have a look with the platter on upside down.
    Hi Joe, it makes the noise without belt attached - I wish it was as simple as that!

Thanks

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    Hi Chris
    If you remove the outer platter, the inner platter despite raising up a bit can be examined for any point that is touching
    It suggests the motor area, I seem to recall two screws that get close to moving parts near the motor. It should show up
    where it is just touching, if you rotate the inner platter. Hope that helps.
    Hi Chris, unfortunately (or maybe fortunately?) it is not in contact with any part of the motor or the screws. (I'd imagine this would be caused by a lack of upward force from the springs?).

Again - wish it was a quick fix like this!!

Cheers anyway

I'm Adam.

A turntable bearing should not make any audible noise.

I’d put the original one back in if I were you.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    A turntable bearing should not make any audible noise.

I’d put the original one back in if I were you.
    That's what I thought. I'm going to take it off, re-oil it and try it one more time.

Then I think the old one will be going back in.

I'm jamie.

i may be wrong but shoudn't the spindle be replaced when changing the bearing,they are a mated pair are they not?
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by karma67 View Post
    i may be wrong but shoudn't the spindle be replaced when changing the bearing,they are a mated pair are they not?
    I did pose the question to the designer, who said it was fine (backed up by a few happy users). . . .

You can buy all sorts of spindles/platters and bearings individually so not necessary a must, but probably good to do so if you can (afford it).

I'm Deleted.

It’s a bit of a Linn myth that the two parts of the Linn bearing are a matched pair - I guarantee they are not. Also, the Cirkus inner platter is identical to the pre-Cirkus one, only the part of the bearing that fits to the chassis is different. However, the Mober bearing is a very odd design in that it has chosen to use twin ball races - frankly, this is entirely the wrong choice in a turntable bearing and will be very much noisier than the shaft and journal type Linn use (also the majority of all turntable manufacturers use a variant on this type of bearing). If you can hear a grinding with your ear then the actual noise being generated must be huge relative to the noise of the standard bearing.
    Account Deleted

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast