+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: The end of May.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by tapid View Post
    Ah, youv e modified that good. I stopped going to football in the 80 s largely because of racism and the horrible songs about the Busby Babes etc, so I m in tune with you there.
    Always been unpleasant people about and thats still the case.
    Yup, absolutely, and no worries

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    What for you to do as you always do, like you did with Grant, and dismiss it as 'conjecture', or similar, simply because it doesn't suit your argument or belief system? Waste of time. It's my valid and carefully considered opinion, which I'm entitled to express however I see fit. I'm not asking you to agree, nor am I trying to change your mind or discredit you.

So learn to live with it.

Marco.
    Not really a question of 'learning to live' with anything though is it? Most of what Grant posted was opinion, two of the many points he made had factual validity and I acknowledged that. At least his post advanced, or at least added to the debate in some way. Empty rhetoric doesn't. It's of no use to anyone, it's just a meaningless expression of a partisan position.

I'd rather read argument that at least makes me think and consider, even if ultimately I still don't agree with it, rather than unsupported 'So and so's a racist' type of comments. If that's all the discussion is going to be then there's no purpose in having it.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    What Dr Johnson meant was, not that patriotism was bad, but that it was used by 'scoundrels' to disguise their ulterior motives. The context in unclear, but he used the phrase 'scoundrel' of Edmund Burke, whom Johnson regarded as a 'false patriot':
    I quite agree. It's just that the quote seems to get wheeled out whenever any Englishman expresses an opinion that could be considered to be nationalistic or patriotic. It isn't just reserved for scoundrels with bad intent or for idiots 'wrapping themselves in the flag'. See also 'Little Englander', 'Xenophobe' and 'Racist'. It's so over the top it's ridiculous.

Hardly surprising that positions become so polarised and consensus or even compromise proves impossible when such extreme language is used so thoughtlessly.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Not really a question of 'learning to live' with anything though is it? Most of what Grant posted was opinion, two of the many points he made had factual validity and I acknowledged that. At least his post advanced, or at least added to the debate in some way. Empty rhetoric doesn't. It's of no use to anyone, it's just a meaningless expression of a partisan position.

I'd rather read argument that at least makes me think and consider, even if ultimately I still don't agree with it, rather than unsupported 'So and so's a racist' type of comments. If that's all the discussion is going to be then there's no purpose in having it.

Yes, there is; it's called free speech!

And it's not "empty rhetoric". I'm simply expressing a (carefully considered) opinion, as indeed I do here on any other subject I'm interested in, hi-fi, music, football, food or whatever, and which doesn't need 'verified' or conducted to your satisfaction, in order to be valid.

I'm also preempting a circular argument, because I know that no matter what 'evidence' I present to confirm my views on Farage, none of it will be good enough for you, so let's leave it there and just agree to disagree.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

To be honest I never said that I supported Farage but at least he seems to quite like the UK and so do I and I can’t see anything wrong with liking where you live

That really is my last post on this thread though
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I quite agree. It's just that the quote seems to get wheeled out whenever any Englishman expresses an opinion that could be considered to be nationalistic or patriotic. It isn't just reserved for scoundrels with bad intent or for idiots 'wrapping themselves in the flag'. See also 'Little Englander', 'Xenophobe' and 'Racist'. It's so over the top it's ridiculous.
    Absolutely, so the key thing then, as an Englishman, is not to behave in a way that gives rise to such stereotypes.

The fact is, the overwhelming majority don't, including the English people I know (indeed 90% of my friends are English), but unfortunately too many do, and are extremely arrogant and vociferous about it [portraying an inflated and unjustified nationalistic/xenophobic sense of superiority], which is why decent English people are sometimes unfairly tarred with the same brush.

Also, by and large, the Scots, Welsh or Irish don't take themselves so seriously, and indeed are often portrayed as joke figures or the underdog in films and TV programmes, which is why a patriotic flag-waving Scotsman or Welshman isn't necessarily viewed in the same way as that of an Englishman.

Me? I've always judged folk as I find them, based on *their* actions, and couldn't give a hoot where they were born or what their ancestry is, and that's exactly as it should be.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm joe.

As something of a cross-breed, I regard all flag-waving as equally ridiculous, whether the flag in question is the Cross of St George, the Saltire, the Irish tricolour, or the Welsh dragon. Or, for that matter, the Union Jack/Flag. Nationalism has been the curse of the modern era following the disintegration of three empires in the aftermath of WWI.

I'm brian.

As something of a cross-breed, I regard all flag-waving as equally ridiculous, whether the flag in question is the Cross of St George, the Saltire, the Irish tricolour, or the Welsh dragon. Or, for that matter, the Union Jack/Flag. Nationalism has been the curse of the modern era following the disintegration of three empires in the aftermath of WWI.
    Kinda works at the proms though

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by tapid View Post
    Kinda works at the proms though
    Really? It's good for a laugh, I suppose.

I'm brian.

Really? It's good for a laugh, I suppose.
    I m sure a large proportion of the country enjoy it, not just whities

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast