+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: The end of May.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    its all very easy to theorise, but then life takes a hand, and you have to do what is needed even if you aint got it.
    Sorry mate, I disagree. You should be disciplined enough always to live within your means, so in respect of the above, you never have to 'do what's needed', because it's already been done. If you ain't got it, then don't seek to have it!

Do without. Simples. We, as a society, seem to have lost the ability to do without things we can't afford, which is mainly why there's so much debt.

At one time, if you didn't have the money to buy something, you simply didn't have it. Now a dangerous and fundamentally-embedded culture exists of 'I WANT', at all costs, so no wonder some folks find themselves financially in the state that they're in.

What always amazes me too, as has already been mentioned, is not only the folks who overspend on takeaway food/drinks and ready meals, proving that they've *GOT IT* in the first place, but the ones who spend FORTUNES funding a drinking and/or smoking habit, then moan to everyone that they're always skint!

Clue: if you gave up your bad habits, you wouldn't bloody well be skint...!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm malcolm.

Quote Originally Posted by Landloper View Post
    + 1

I currently work on the minimum wage & learned how to budget and save [so I occasionally get to buy a new magic box]. We now live under a mixed economy with huge and ever increasing state intervention - it certainly isn't a capitalist system in the classical sense. I've never wanted what many others around me seemed to want - to own their own house, to have a career, to gather material wealth, &c. That's not a criticism of those who do work long hours or take risks for those goals, only that for me meeting my economic obligations by working shortest number of hours a week possible was a more desirable goal. Forgoing pursuing a higher standard of material comfort in exchange for more time to devote to pursuing cultural wealth has seemed preferable to me.
    Contentment...the best possible goal. Hat's off to you my friend.
    Audiophile Tosher

Genuine contentment is worth more than ANY amount of money, which often patently fails to deliver contentment!

Also, in these 'rat race' times, where everyone is running around like headless chickens, working all the hours under the sun, to fund lifestyles they can ill afford, TIME is such a precious commodity...

Having TIME to enjoy life, with those you love, and do what YOU want to do (not what the company you work for or boss wants), is for me intrinsically linked with fulfilment and contentment, and so just as valuable. After all, what's the point in having pots of cash in the bank, if you've got no *time* to enjoy it...??

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm malcolm.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Spot on, John!

And me too, which is why I only ever saw my working life as a means to an end, not an end in itself... It's amazing to me (and also deeply sad) how for so many folks, their job is their LIFE, which usually tells me that's the case because they've really got nothing else.

Now, if you're *genuinely* happy with that state of affairs (rather than simply kidding yourself on), then cool.

However, so often it's the case that folk are 'married' to the jobs because there's nothing else in their lives that's worthwhile, so they keep themselves busy simply to blot out, deep down, their unhappiness and loneliness - and that can occur even within a marital relationship, when the love's long since gone out of it, if indeed it ever existed in the first place....

Marco.
    I'd put a proviso in... there's can be a big difference between a job and a career.

Most of my working life was in building conservation, it was my career, I loved it, it wasn't like a job it was a pleasure, for which I got paid.

However the career eventually turned into a job when I ended up stuck in head office, I took a big hit on my pension and left...six years early.
    Audiophile Tosher

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Sorry mate, I disagree. You should be disciplined enough always to live within your means, so in respect of the above, you never have to 'do what's needed', because it's already been done. If you ain't got it, then don't seek to have it!

Do without. Simples.

What always amazes me, as has already been mentioned, is not only the folks who overspend on takeaway food/drinks and ready meals, proving that they *HAVE IT* in the first place, but those who spend FORTUNES funding a drinking and/or smoking habit, then moan to everyone that they're poor!

Clue: if you gave up that unnecessary shite, you wouldn't be poor...

Marco.
    well my neighbour had to get into debt due to a dying child for instance... but sure thats not a reason either eh? you see, life isnt just that simple alas....there can be lots of reasons where this can happen...
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm malcolm.

well my neighbour had to get into debt due to a dying child for instance... but sure thats not a reason either eh? you see, life isnt just that simple alas....there can be lots of reasons where this can happen...
    Yeah that's a hard call, I know how difficult it is for family and friends under the US system, my son in law had surgery recently and there were complications. He works for a large company with good health care etc, but will still end up with a large bill.
    Audiophile Tosher

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

+ 1

I currently work on the minimum wage & learned how to budget and save [so I occasionally get to buy a new magic box]. We now live under a mixed economy with huge and ever increasing state intervention - it certainly isn't a capitalist system in the classical sense. I've never wanted what many others around me seemed to want - to own their own house, to have a career, to gather material wealth, &c. That's not a criticism of those who do work long hours or take risks for those goals, only that for me meeting my economic obligations by working shortest number of hours a week possible was a more desirable goal. Forgoing pursuing a higher standard of material comfort in exchange for more time to devote to pursuing cultural wealth has seemed preferable to me.
    Great post!

I've visited a lot of graveyards in my time, and never have I seen a tombstone saying "I wish I'd gone to work more."

I do have a good job and don't really want for anything, but I made a conscious decision when my kids were born that I wouldn't chase a career that would mean I never saw them growing up. If I'd taken a City job I would never have seen them in the week, and would have been too knackered at the weekends to have any fun with them! Some things are more precious than money in the bank, the latest car or shiny box. Most of my spare cash is spent creating memories.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Ok, but that was exceptional circumstances, and hardly the norm. Also, I don't know the circumstances of course, but I'm almost certain that there could've been another way. Couldn't any friends or family have helped out and loaned them the cash they needed?

What was the illness in question, and was it not treatable on the NHS? Also, I presume that the illness wasn't terminal, and so the debt accrued, allowed the child the treatment it needed to save its life? Otherwise it would all be rather pointless.

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    I've visited a lot of graveyards in my time, and never have I seen a tombstone saying "I wish I'd gone to work more."

I do have a good job and don't really want for anything, but I made a conscious decision when my kids were born that I wouldn't chase a career that would mean I never saw them growing up. If I'd taken a City job I would never have seen them in the week, and would have been too knackered at the weekends to have any fun with them! Some things are more precious than money in the bank, the latest car or shiny box. Most of my spare cash is spent creating memories.
    *Spot on*, Alex! An admirable outlook, and no doubt it's also proved to be a rewarding one

THAT is the correct way to be a parent. Textbook stuff! Now, it's just a pity so many these days haven't followed your example!

As far as money goes, the only purpose it should serve is in providing you with a comfortable standard of living, giving you the FREEDOM to do the things YOU want to do, allowing you to pay all the bills, LIVE well [and that doesn't mean expensively], and still see plenty of your wife and/or kids.

The bottom line is that money should be a slave to YOU, and never *you* a slave to IT.................. It should always be treated responsibly. As long as you've got 'enough', what more do you need?

Marco.
    Main System

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Excelent post John
    A...
    + 1

"Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast