+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rpi3B+ Isolator+ Allo Boss 1.2 problems

I'm Richard.

Default Rpi3B+ Isolator+ Allo Boss 1.2 problems

Until an hour ago I had a Rpi2 + Allo Boss1.0 + Volumio working well.

I have now upgraded to the RPI3B + Allo Isolator + Allo Boss1.2. I used the same mini SD card

Volumio boots up OK and recognises the NAS and USB drive but every time I try to play music I get the following error:

"Error
    Failed to open "alsa" [alsa]; Error opening ALSA device "hw:1,0"; snd_pcm_hw_params() failed: Remote I/O error".

Any ideas please to help me in the resolution of this unexpected problem.

Many thanks,

R

I'm Peter.

Hopefully you are powering via the Isolator and the DAC board? (Two power supplies).

It sounds like you have insufficient power to boot volumio.! & the Pi.

Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Peter.

Sorry, I'll rephrase that.

You need to power the Allo Boss DAC board first, then the isolator board, or Volumio doesn't see the DAC. (On boot up)

That may account why your getting the error but can still see your NAS Drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Neal.

I suspect it’s the very different hardware between the two Pi versions that’s causing you issues. I’d reflash your SD card and start from scratch on the RPi3b+. That way you will get the correct drivers loaded for the board.
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Richard.

Thanks; I've rebooted, waited, and that error has now disappeared - BUT - no sound!

All 3 boards have lights on so power would appear to getting through (iFi PS on the DAC and a LPS to the Boss).

Perhaps I'll swap the PS around.

Thanks again,

R

Update...it works! What I did was switch off playBack options/IS2DAC.. Then turn the Allo Boss back on again (under 'DAC model').

Volumio rebooted itself and ..sound...!

I hope this may help others.

Now to test it more thoroughly, let it 'burn-in' and enjoy the music.

I now have a Rpi2 + Allo Boss1 in an Allo case for sale of course...

Thanks everyone,

PS, BTW, I'm not a fan of the power connections to the Rpi set-up. On my previous version I had to use BluTak to stop the powerlead coming away from the Rpi2.

I can see the point of standardising the type of plug and socket - to USB-C or whatever, but on a brand-new Allo Boss board I've got to use the same BluTak to stop the lead from falling out!

On a separate issue, when shutting Volumio down I get a green progress bar at the top and a spinning wheel with a darkened screen. The green bar stops with a few mm to go and never progresses. The wheel keeps a turning'.

Do others notice this?

R
    Last edited by Bonky; 22-05-2019 at 18:19.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bonky View Post
    Thanks; I've rebooted, waited, and that error has now disappeared - BUT - no sound!

All 3 boards have lights on so power would appear to getting through (iFi PS on the DAC and a LPS to the Boss).

Thanks again,

R
    Don't forget to make sure your playback settings are correct in Volumio.

Ie States Allo XXX dac

I'm Richard.

Yep; thanks. Volumio seems to be OK but still no sound after a reboot.

I left all the jumpers as they were. I'm working from these instructions:

Power Options: Isolator requires 5V primary power and 5V clean power as secondary. Primary Power can be fed from the RPI or through USB-C type connector on Isolator according to RPI Power Isolation Jumper J26.
    Primary Power:
    RPI POWER Isolation Jumper (J26) Closed >> Connect 5V 3A PSU to Isolator USB-typeC. Isolator board will feed power to RPI.
    RPI POWER Isolation Jumper (J26) Opened - Power source connect to RPI
    Secondary Power (5V Clean Power): This power is taken from the DAC connected on top of Isolator. Jumper settings required on Katana and Boss:
    Katana DAC : Katana board J30 closed (ON) Boss DAC : J25 jumper closed (ON)

Thanks again; if all else fails I'll re-flash the SD card...but I seem to recall awful problems last time with getting the correct settings.

R

I'm Richard.

Edit: placed in the wrong order:

Thanks again,

R

Update...it works! What I did was switch off playBack options/IS2DAC.. Then turn the Allo Boss back on again (under 'DAC model').

Volumio rebooted itself and ..sound...!

I hope this may help others.

Now to test it more thoroughly, let it 'burn-in' and enjoy the music.

I now have a Rpi2 + Allo Boss1 in an Allo case for sale of course...

Thanks everyone,

PS, BTW, I'm not a fan of the power connections to the Rpi set-up. On my previous version I had to use BluTak to stop the powerlead coming away from the Rpi2.

I can see the point of standardising the type of plug and socket - to USB-C or whatever, but on a brand-new Allo Boss board I've got to use the same BluTak to stop the lead from falling out!

On a separate issue, when shutting Volumio down I get a green progress bar at the top and a spinning wheel with a darkened screen. The green bar stops with a few mm to go and never progresses. The wheel keeps a turnin'.

Do others notice this?

R
    Last edited by Bonky; Today at 19:19.
    My Gear:
    Source component/s:
    Cambridge CXC Cd player; Inspire Apollo deck + Roksan Nima arm + Ortofon 2M Black; Denon TU-580RD tuner; Logitech Squeezebox Touch. Rpi with Volumio. RME DAC.

Amplification: WD KEL84+ valve amp; Rega Brio, Quad 306 (DADA modded, - in reserve)). Trichord Dino2 & Dino+ PS;

Wiim mini, Wiim Pro, Wiim ProPlus streamers

Loudspeakers:
    Living Voice Auditorium IBX-R2.
    Q Acoustics 2010 in the 'study'.

Cables/stands: Chords; Van Dammes 4mm

Any other hi-fi bits:
    Apple MacMini Pro; Senn HD598, 467,
    Linear PSs for Rpi and DAC. Pure mains conditioning.

I'm Richard.

Am I hearing better bass...or is that just expectation bias?
    R
    My Gear:
    Source component/s:
    Cambridge CXC Cd player; Inspire Apollo deck + Roksan Nima arm + Ortofon 2M Black; Denon TU-580RD tuner; Logitech Squeezebox Touch. Rpi with Volumio. RME DAC.

Amplification: WD KEL84+ valve amp; Rega Brio, Quad 306 (DADA modded, - in reserve)). Trichord Dino2 & Dino+ PS;

Wiim mini, Wiim Pro, Wiim ProPlus streamers

Loudspeakers:
    Living Voice Auditorium IBX-R2.
    Q Acoustics 2010 in the 'study'.

Cables/stands: Chords; Van Dammes 4mm

Any other hi-fi bits:
    Apple MacMini Pro; Senn HD598, 467,
    Linear PSs for Rpi and DAC. Pure mains conditioning.

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonky View Post
    Am I hearing better bass...or is that just expectation bias?
    R
    Definitely better bass with the Rpi3B+.

I noticed it straight away when I swapped out an rpi2 using a hifiberry dig+
    VPI Scout 1.1, Hana ML, Vanderveen MC10 SUT, WAD Phono3, Rpi3B+/Digione Signature, Xiang Sheng DAC-01, WAD KiT6550 and Reiver Edingdale SR

+ Reply to Thread