+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pre and power , ON/OFF sequence?

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

I don't get any 'thud' sound through the speakers when I switch the ML's on but certainly the Naim amp did
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Martin.

Isn't your ML class A? You don't want to be leaving that on all the time. It's a daft idea anyway. It won't perform any better and it will fail sooner.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Isn't your ML class A? You don't want to be leaving that on all the time. It's a daft idea anyway. It won't perform any better and it will fail sooner.
    I think it partly operates in class A Martin and, as you say, I don't think leaving it switched on all the time is very good for it
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    I don't get any 'thud' sound through the speakers when I switch the ML's on but certainly the Naim amp did
    Same with Exposure amps. The 'thud' made me jump the first time I experienced it, with an Exposure X amp, many years ago.

I'm not sure the 'thud' can do the speakers much good do you think ?
    Bev

I'm joe.

I'm not sure the 'thud' can do the speakers much good do you think ?
    It's never harmed mine, and I've been using my current Exposure amps for more than 20 years, but as Grant said, it's always a good idea to turn the volume down as low as possible before switch-on. Once, one of my children must have moved the volume round nearly to maximum. The sound at switch-on gave me (and the cats) a bit of a shock, but the speakers survived.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    It's never harmed mine, and I've been using my current Exposure amps for more than 20 years, but as Grant said, it's always a good idea to turn the volume down as low as possible before switch-on. Once, one of my children must have moved the volume round nearly to maximum. The sound at switch-on gave me (and the cats) a bit of a shock, but the speakers survived.
    Oh poor you, and the cats....

When I switch any amp on I have the volume at zero, it's just something I've always done to be honest... good practice I think...
    Bev

I'm Dennis.

In my experience the thud is more a result of vast current surges occurring with power amp power supplies than anything else, but 'soft' circuits are now avoiding this.

I'm Dave.

I always kept the Naim bits n pieces powered on all the time which, I believe, is the recommendation..

It's the one thing I miss about the Naim's ... as I don't leave the ML's switched on so have to wait just a little while for them to heat up a bit....

Does anyone know if I could indeed leave the ML's switched on the whole time? The only reason I switch them off at the moment is that they both get pretty warm, unlike the Naim's
    Put them in standby when not in use.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12