+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanted single or pair of KEF T52 Tweeters (SP1049)

I'm Andrew.

Default Wanted single or pair of KEF T52 Tweeters (SP1049)

Hello as per the heading I am looking for either a single or pair of KEF T52 Tweeters as used in the 1976/77 original KEF 103 Reference , Cantata , Cantata Kit , KEF 105 , KEF 105.1 all made in the late seventies .

I have a pair of KEF 103 Reference from 1976/77 which I have converted to active and one of the tweeters has blown . I would love to be able to find a replacement and keep these running in their original specification except for the switch to active .

I'm Andrew.

Just to confirm that to day a saved search on E-Bay has come up with a pair of these Tweeters and I now have not only the means to repair my speaker but also another spare to help with my next act of idiocy .

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Bencat View Post
    Just to confirm that to day a saved search on E-Bay has come up with a pair of these Tweeters and I now have not only the means to repair my speaker but also another spare to help with my next act of idiocy .
    You should be fine for the next 3-6 months now

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Andrew.

Hi Lawrence make that three days .

I'm Lawrence.

Even for you, that's quick!!

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Rohan.

Hi Lawrence make that three days .

Hi Andrew, my misfortune may benefit you! I have had to replace my T52s with a different matched pair (albeit the later version), as one died in my KEF 105. The other one which is working perfectly will be available soon once the work is complete on the 105s. It is definitely the type you are after, T52 SP1049. PM me if you still need it.

I'm Andrew.

Apologies for whatever reason I missed this post , thank you for the offer it would have been very welcome had I noticed it . I now have a full set of replacement bass and treble units for my 103 Ref speakers but due to a recent operation will not be able to work on them for around six weeks which in soe ways is very frustrating but probably give me time to calm down and think about the work .

I'm Rohan.

Hi Andrew,
    No problems- in the end it is perhaps fortunate that things worked out his way. I now have no working pairs of either type of T52, and a therefore-disabled set of my favourite and wonderful speakers.

I have a brand-new T52 sp1049 voice coil now- basically unobtanium acquired from James of the parish. But even there I don't have another, or another sp1049 to make up a working pair.

I have thought in the last day or so that perhaps those of us who use speakers with this tweeter (Kef 103, 105, 105.2, Cantata, Meridian M2 and a couple of others) need to find a modern equivalent. The other classic era Kef tweeters have drop in modern replacements but for us, strangely, there is nothing offered.

I'm at my wits end with it all- particularly as I think the 105 is one of the best speakers I have ever heard and I wish them to be lifelong companions.
    Problem is, they are about the same age as me!

I'm Rohan.

Apologies for whatever reason I missed this post , thank you for the offer it would have been very welcome had I noticed it . I now have a full set of replacement bass and treble units for my 103 Ref speakers but due to a recent operation will not be able to work on them for around six weeks which in soe ways is very frustrating but probably give me time to calm down and think about the work .
    Also, best of luck with your recovery, and the future work on the 103!

I'm Andrew.

@VanDerGraaf do not despair just keep looking as I did as they do turn up . One thing worth doing is set up e-bay seraches for speakers they were used in as this is how I managed to get two cabinet knackered 103's that had good fully working drive units and you can then offset the cost by seliing on the Bass units . Not sure if it would help but I may well have a single T52 that I could let you have. This time I plan when putting everything back to gether to include in line capacitors with my tweeters to protect them which should mean that they will last just a little longer than the previous pairs. I am not going to be able to do anyhting about this for six weeks so will only know then if i have a odd tweeter spare drop me a line if you want to consider it .
    Last edited by Bencat; 12-09-2019 at 08:25.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast