+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ever have a bad listening day

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
    Another thing i've found that's odd is how the volume you play at affects the sound. Sometimes everything sounds a bit thin, but crank up the volume and it's great.

I know the first thing that will come to peoples minds (Fletcher munson), but I don't remember having that problem with Tannoys. They were full sounding even at very low volume.
    I think that's due to the low bass being quite high in level compared to most other speakers.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Hangovers don't help either.
    I just veg out in front of the telly, have no interest in serious listening when hungover and background music doesn't do it for me either.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I think that's due to the low bass being quite high in level compared to most other speakers.
    I should have said 'impact'. It's the slam rather than the depth that makes the difference I think.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Paul.

One of those things you think "is it just me that gets this" but when you put It out there all of us have probably experienced it at some point.

If you had to make a list of everything that can effect (or is it affect never do get them two right) your listening experience it'd be a f'ing big list.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    Current system:
    RPi + Allo Digione
    Beresford Caiman Seg & Dorado powered by 15v Linear PSU
    Transcendent Sound Mini Beast OTL
    Amptastic Mini-1
    Klipsch KG4.5 Speakers with Titanium Diagphrams and Sonicap Cap upgrade
    110aH Leisure Battery powers the Mini-1 & Digione

I'm Shaun.

Oh yes indeed, that moment when it is all warmed up, you sit back to relax and listen to the music but you just know that life would be so much better if it were switched off..! No idea why it just doesn't work out sometimes and the music just conflicts with what the hell is going on in my head. Maybe an oil burner and lavender would help

I am almost 60 for Christ's sake

I'm Dennis.

It is weird, last night here upstairs I was listening to the system and thinking, 'WTF, these digital amps, my speakers - yuch'
    Then today on FM hearing "Turn to Grey" the synth was the best I have ever heard it, (Theramin sine wave sound), so dynamic and beautiful. Why?

I'm Steve.

This is happening so much, to so many people, I can't believe it's the systems or mains supply. It's got to be us, our ears, our brains.

I wonder whether this may happen when we visit a hifi show, when you don't like most of what you hear, with maybe a couple of exceptions which happen to be more 'in tune' with your mood. And whether going back the next day or at a different time may yield different results and favour other setups.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Dennis.

It seems safe to say that most of the variability is within us and that the system remains relatively the same.

We have a lot of 'software variables' and even hardware ones within us.

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

The answer is "yes" and the reason is almost certainly me rather than my system. Having a cold, being tired, mood, things on your nerves...all factors that change the experience. Sometimes if I know I'm not feeling right I just avoid listening to music so as not to spoil it.

To my point about having a cold. I do think our own individual ENT shape/condition and how we each cope with atmopherics varies widely, and is a much greater reason for differences of opinion between us on how things sound than is given credit for.

Pete

I'm Dennis.

Ok folks, every day I listen to Steve Wright's 'golden oldies' at 1500, and today was played "Live and Let Die" From Macca.

There is a part today, between verses, which goes into, well, just a bloody noise for me, and it makes me doubt the validity of my whole system. I could not differentiate any separate musical instruments during it,
    Does anyone have this, and if so what is it like on your system - please, I need help!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast